Chapter 7

"Catherine it's Adam, can you give me a call when you get this?" It was just the first of many calls he had to make.

He still hurt over the fact Kim had slept with Sean's brother but he couldn't help but feel as if he pushed her into it.

He went from being unable to be without her for even an hour, to icing her out and withdrawing from her.

Only to turn around and undermine her at work by acting as if she wasn't capable of doing her job.

When he knew full well she was a damn good cop.

It had been a few days since Kevin had interrupted Kim and Adam's 'moment' in the locker room and he felt like shit.

He knocked on her door, "Coming" he heard her call out.

"Hey Kevin" she smiled when she greeted him, "everything okay?" a little confused as to why he was on her doorstep.

"No, it's not" he told her.

"Come in" she was scared, he sounded upset.

Kevin sat on the arm of the couch, "What is it Kev? It's not your sister, right?" She knew He thought the sun rose and set with that little girl.

"Nah, it's not her" he adjusted the watch on his wrist, "It's my best friend and the girl who is like my sister"

Kim plopped on the couch, she should have realized what he was here for, "Adam loves you, you know. You love him too, what's the problem?" He asked her.

"How about the fact I slept with someone else" she responded.

Kevin grinned, "Adam doesn't care about that, he gets it. I saw what was going on between you two in the locker room the other day. If I had been a few minutes later, he would have his tongue down your throat"

She glared at him, "Really Kevin?"

He laughed, "Hey, I don't like to talk about it either, kind of grosses me out to be honest. I don't like thinking about you that way, but it's true and you know it"

Kim went to the window, "How can he forgive me? I hurt him"

Kevin stood behind her, wrapping his arms around her neck. "Adam loves you. Yea, I'm sure he's hurting over it, but he's hurting more being away from you. You both are"

He could feel her start to cry, "Come here" he spun her around in his arms, "you guys are good together, don't give up on him"

"Come on Jay, hurry up!" Adam was growing impatient, "just kiss her and let's go!"

Erin rolled her eyes an quickly kissed Jay, "Go on before he has a stroke"

Jay laughed, "Alright Ruzek lets go"

"What do I do Kevin?" Kim asked, "I feel terrible"

He handed her the tissues, "First, you need to stop beating yourself up about this, it was a mistake. Adam isn't free of blame in this, he messed with your head a lot the last few months. The way he's been about the engagement pisses me off. We've had words over it a few times"

Kim was shocked, "You did?"

"Hell yea" he laughed, "having a fucking bachelor party before you guys set a date? That blew me away, but I went along with because he's my friend"

"He ever talk to you about marriage?"

"Nah, he didn't. Why?"

Kim rubbed her hands together in an effort to warm them, "Just he said some stuff to Erin that he's never said to me. I was wondering if he talked to you as well"

"He didn't, but you need to talk to him" Kevin went to her, "I gotta run, talk to him. See if you can work it out" he kissed her cheek, "I love you Burgess" he winked.

"Love you too Atwater"

Jay's head hurt, they must have been to a dozen stores and nothing caught Adam's eye, "are we done yet?"

Adam shrugged, "Yea, thanks for coming with me"

"Call her Adam, just do it" Jay laughed, "I'm going home to Erin, you interrupted an enjoyable afternoon with this little adventure" he smirked, he shook his hand, "Erin said Kim's as miserable as you are and let's face it, you're pretty pathetic" he laughed.

Adam smirked, "Screw you"

"In your dreams my friend in your dreams" Jay laughed as they headed to their cars.

The phone startled her, "Hello?" She glanced at the clock it was after midnight.

"Kim, it's me" Adam said softly, "did I wake you?" He hadn't been able to sleep well in weeks.

"It's alright" she rubbed the sleep from her eyes, and switched on the bedside lamp, "Adam, are you alright?"

He smiled, "I'm okay. Listen, I was hoping we could grab some food or something tomorrow" he was hopeful.

"What time?" Kim asked.

She could hear Adam sigh, "I was hoping we could grab breakfast, I really need to see you" he told her, "I miss you"

"Adam.."

"No, I mean it. I do Kim, no matter what I love you" he told her, "just promise me you'll meet me at our diner at nine, please Kim?"

She smiled when he referred to the diner they grabbed most meals at as 'theirs', "I will see you then"

---Note---

Unedited.

Sorry, forgive any errors.