Chapter Twelve: My Hero

Chapter Twelve:

The weekend had passed by in a blur and so did most of the school week. Clayton and I hadn’t said much about how we felt about each other or even made any moves. We have been spending a lot of time together, hanging out just us. It was starting to become clear in the last week that I definitely did like him. I was excited to see him every time and when any part of me was close to him or we were barely touching, I would get those god awful tingles and so called butterflies in my tummy. This is all so new to me and at first I was scared of these new sensations but now I’m ok with it. I can’t help but keep thinking about giving my first kiss to him. But I’m still not sure.

Bailee cleared her throat and motioned towards my left. Turning to see what she was concerned about I spun around.

Serenity waltzed over to our table with a smirk, her bright blue eyes light up as she reached her destination. I dreaded whatever was about to come out of her blood red lips. “Hey everyone, it’s the poor kissing virgin no one would ever want to kiss because she’s so fat and ugly. Not even her own boyfriend wants to kiss her…Well shall I say her pretend boyfriend.”

Everyone that was listening in the cafeteria started laughing and clapping.

“What are you talking about?” Bailee snapped.

“Oh just about how poor UK over here is so desperate that she got your cousin to pretend to be her boyfriend. I bet he did it out of pity. Why would he want someone like her?” She laughed as she pointed a finger at me. “When she’s not even his type, after all, the girl I saw him macking on after Port Royal’s track meet was definitely not her. She was to pretty.”

“Cut it out Serenity and just leave Em alone.” Clayton muttered as he pushed around the fries on his plate not even bothering to look at her.

“Why? The fun has just begun. I find it sad that poor UnKissable has to stoop so low as to creating a fake boyfriend online and roping a totally gorgeous guy into helping her uphold that fake relationship. Isn’t it sad UK that you have all these guy friends-“She paused to look at Asher and then Clayton. “But yet you can’t even get a boyfriend? How pathetic.”

That’s it, I’ve had it. And with that thought I did something I never thought I could do.

Jumping up on the cafeteria table I clapped my hands to get everyone’s attention which wasn’t hard since most of them had already been gawking at us since Serenity strutted over with the B Squad. Taking a deep breath I spoke up.

“I am sick of all of you penalizing me because I haven’t had my first kiss yet. I have my reasons to why I haven’t been kissed like most of you and honestly I don’t care if you continue to make fun of me for it. What’s really pathetic is-“I looked over at Serenity before continuing. “I bet that most of you can’t even say that your first kiss was amazing and special. I don’t want to be like most of you that had a kiss that wasn’t worth remembering. I want my first kiss to be something special, something I can look back on and smile.”

I looked around the cafeteria and noticed that almost everyone had gone still and a majority of the girls around had frowns upon their faces. Maybe I actually hit a nerve. I glanced down at Serenity and she rolled her eyes.

Serenity barked out a sarcastic laugh before giving me a smirk. “I bet your so called best friend forever didn’t tell you that we were each other’s first kiss?”

Who is she talking about? I raised an eyebrow and I’m sure my face showed complete confusion because she giggled again. “Clayton, sweetie, Clayton.”

I gazed down at Clayton in shock. She was who he was talking about when he told me about his first kiss? How could I have not known! Clayton’s cheeks held a hint of pink as he averted his gaze and hung his head.