Chapter 1(edited)

Chapter One

Katherine POV

 By this time, it has been exactly two months since my birthday, and my mother's passing. I still don't recall much of what happened on that dreadful night. All I know is that my father had taken me away and he left me at my distant aunt's house, then disappeared as if nothing had happened. I feel that was pretty selfish if you ask me, I deserved to be with him, not this aunt. I think about these pulling thoughts every minute of every day. Through sleepless nights and the only thing I recall from the sleep I do manage is the breath-taking wonder and fear of what happened that night. The only way to describe it is like a tickle in the back of your throat. When you feel a sob, but it takes everything to hold it back and not cry out. I pushed that ball of sadness down, and I'm sure it is still there today; growing in size each and every day.

The only way I can escape from these tearing thoughts is when I get a chance to be with my best friend, a shady girl that can be the funniest character known to man, Sadie. Sadie is my neighbor, we met my first morning in my aunt's town. We always laugh together and we both made a pact to not ask many questions that can get too personal. We agreed that past is past and we have to live in the moment. She always dresses in her favourite jeans and a totally unflattering black hoodie that covers the majority of her electric purple hair, and her emerald green eyes always seem to be stuck in a permanent glare. She is a realistic girl. Not a dreamer, yet she seems to see the dark side to every opportunity in life.

While I'm the opposite, I inspire a fantasy in my mind, and seem to always see the bright side to everything going on. That is until two months ago, my prior life was different. This life has shown me what is really out there, that the world is full of hatred, selfishness and an ever lasting war between right and wrong inside of us. The web that we weave grows and gets tangled because we each want something different in this world. I prefer to watch people struggle in the web they weaved than to weave one myself, it saves me the time of trying to explain my way.

"Jeesh, are you contemplating your life again!?" Sadie bellowed, clearly annoyed of my lack in the conversation.

I was pulled out of my thoughts into the cold face of reality.

"No I was just, loving this lemonade." I dissimulated as I gestured to the lemonade glass in my hand.

"Yes, because you definitely love lemonade." Sadie sarcastically implied as she pointed out that my glass was still filled to the rim. "It's getting late, as much as I love to bug you, we should be getting home."

I sighed, I did not want to get my mind off of the fun we were having. But Sadie is right. She's always right. It is time to go back to the cold hard truth of reality. Time to go back to my jail of a home. I trudged back to my abode with Sadie tagging along, she was guiding me home to make sure I didn't run off to get away from this truth. But home is home, I guess. No, that's a lie, a house is a house, only few houses can be considered homes though.

The sun began to set and my shadow began to grow behind me. But, strangely Sadie's shadow didn't emerge. I gazed at the ground thoughtfully, what an unusual thing, to have no shadow.

"Hey, Sadie?" I mumbled as I stared at the shadowless ground.

"What's up?" Sadie replied as she lifted up the rug that held the extra key.

"Sadie,where is your shadow??" I questioned, curiously as I stared into her glossy eyes.

"I have a shadow what are you talking about?" She giggled nervously.

I blinked and glanced at the ground, her shadow was back. I guess the question followed under "too personal" and I shrugged off the idea that her shadow had never been there. Whenever something gets too personal we just pretend nothing had been said, it's easier that way; no complications or feelings to get tangled up with. And, anyways everyone has a shadow, I must just be tired.

I trudged into my small home. It had a surprisingly roomy kitchen and no dining room, we just ate off the counters, my aunt was by the stove stirring a huge, silver pot. I placed plates and basically prepared for supper. I scampered off after a "homemade meal" and ran into my little cubby of a room. There I fell on my tiny cot and hid my face drifting off into a deep sleep.

I awoke on a cold, damp, stone-like floor. No light could reach me. It seems like I am in a forever black hole. Suddenly a light heartedly laugh echoed through the trench I was in. A big glowing orb of light appeared above my head. The orb brought a flush of relief with it. It was as if it was pulsing love and kindness itself. All of a sudden I gained a shadow and it began to grow. But my shadow wasn't a figure like it always was, the shadow looked similar to mountains and trees. On the left side of my shadow was a butterfly-like shape, and on the right side of my shadow landscape was a mutant. The middle of my shadow was glowing scarlet letters, It read:

choose

The word confuses me, What is that supposed to mean? I don't want to be a mutant, but I also don't want to be a butterfly. I'll be the mountains. Yes, I will choose neither, yet both.

With that thought I jolted awake.Sunlight glimmered through my tiny window. It was morning already? But I am still exhausted! I swiveled over to look at my alarm clock. It was 6:59, one minute of sleep and my clock would ring. I closed my eyes and the alarm clock rung in disapproval.

"Wake up," my aunt calmly stated.

I looked over at her. She was of course wearing a kitten shirt. I followed her downstairs to get some breakfast then I quickly bounded out the door for school. Looking over my shoulder to say goodbye, something caught my eye.

In the place of my aunts chubby figured shadow was a bucket like shape with little cat heads popping out. I glanced up at my aunt. No basket or cats. (Besides her shirt.) Well, then what was that shadow all about?