Chapter 19

Jericho POV

My footsteps pounded against the dirt of the forest floor. I needed to get to The Hills and soon.

HQ guards started to swarm me, I can't lead them to The Hills, the whole operation would be discovered. I can't let that happen.

So I called for help, well not exactly. Instead I grabbed a special flare from my back pocket. The thing about this flare is that only Soul Gazers could see it. This way the enemies wouldn't know where we were.

I lit the flare and threw it into the misty evening sky. The HQ guards continued their chase. I continued to run hoping the flare would catch the attention of someone. All of a sudden it started to rain. Well, rain is an understatement. It began to pour gallons of water. The dirt floor began to turn to mud, and I struggled not to slip.

In the distance I saw another flare, signaling they saw me! I shout out to the sky, "Thank you!" and the guards exchanged weirded out looks. I smiled in delight as Gordon came into view, "My savior!" I overdramatically shout to him.

The guards seem to think I am crazy and I availed the moment to run. I dashed toward Gordon and we both took off running, I left an explosion of smoke to cover our footsteps and to cover our direction. Unfortunately for the guards the smoke would only dissipate when I commanded it to, so they would not find Gordon or me anytime soon.

"I see you found the Katherine," Gordon beams and me as we run to The Hills. I smiled back at him. I believe I was always his favourite, and him coming to rescue me only proves my point further. Suddenly "chopping" sounds in the air confront us. We were being trailed from the sky. The wave of air caused the smoke to trail off and the soldiers spotted us. One fired a single bullet and almost as if in slow motion it curved and hit me straight in the chest. I collapsed onto ground and saw a great heavenly light in the distance. I heard screams of horror but, ignored them and my eyes closed.

Maybe one day I'll live to see HQ fall.

Maybe the sky will be darker and not make me feel so alone.

Maybe one day.