Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"So, do you want to play 20 questions?" 

"Excuse me?" I asked.

Joshua and I walked out of the White House and into the enclosed backyard. The topiaries and hedges blocking off the White House backyard were lit with up-lighting. making it easy to see. The mid-June air was humid and sticky, the stars twinkling above us in the night sky. 

"20 questions. You know, you ask questions back and forth until you guess what the other's thinking?" he said.

I shook my head, understanding the game but having no recollection of ever playing it.

"Never played it." I answered.

He gasped, covering his mouth with his hand. I tried not to laugh but a chuckle escaped. I punched his arm very lightly. 

"How could you have never played 20 questions?!" he asked me, genuinely shocked.

My smile fell as I shrugged and walked along the cement pathway leading to the outdoor pool. It was enclosed in a glass greenhouse-like building, the evaporation from the pool frosting the glass. Crickets chirped and bats flew by, catching mosquitoes. It seemed calm. You couldn't hear the orchestra from the ballroom out in the yard. Here and there, I saw the occasional Secret Service agent doing rounds of the groundskeepers and landscapers working late on the flowers or the hedges. I nodded at the Secret Service agents. 

"I don't play many games." I answered plainly. 

Joshua's smile fell too. I watched him in my peripheral. He truly did look handsome in the lighting. His jet black hair was styled just the right way. The light made his eyes seem brighter. He was muscular. His body had the look of a guy who's been athletically active for years. Football, possibly swimming and weight lifting, by the looks of it. He wasn't overly muscular. And, not to mention, he has a cute butt. His jeans fit him just right...No! Ember, don't! I'm here to protect the McGallens. After they gave Joshua a blood test, they confirmed Andrew McGallen as his biological father. As far as he's concerned, I'm a guard. I don't have time for love, anyway. I'm a spy. A spy on a mission.

"Okay, then I'll start. Um...is your real name Ember?"

"Yes."

He looked at me expectantly. 

"Oh, um...what's your mother's name?"

"Rebecca. Rebecca Hilton."

I nodded, biting my lip as the pool area got closer to us. A soft breeze blew through, taking the edge off of the humid heat. I tripped in my heels, something I don't do often. Joshua caught me. Our eyes met. I stared into the cobalt gray of his eyes, which reminded me of the clouds before a storm. Our faces were inches apart. His strong, warm arms around me supported my body, which was also pressed into his torso. I leaned against his form, feeling his muscles through his shirt. Suddenly, his eyes closed and he leaned forward. I couldn't help it when I did the same. The moment his lips met mine, my legs turned to Jell-O. His hand came up to cup my face while I wrapped my arms around his neck. He pulled out only for a breath before kissing me again, this time fuller. Before I knew it, my back was pressed against the greenhouse surrounding the pool and I was kissing Joshua as if my life depended on it. His hands grasped my waist, pushing me back. 

"Joshua." I breathed when we broke for another breath.

He shushed me, his lips pressing onto mine again with a hungry passion. I kissed him back with the same passion, pushing my hands up into his hair. It was silky. Beautifully silky. His tongue invaded my mouth, tasting me and exploring. I groaned. Suddenly, my senses came back to me through my pleasurable high. What am I doing?! If Mr. Wells were to find out about this...

"Joshua," I said but he kissed me again.

I placed my hands on his chest, pushing him away. He looked confused, his gray eyes searching my face. I sighed, taking him by the forearms and pulling his hands away from my waist. 

"Joshua, stop. I can't do this. I'm not here to..."

Joshua nodded, his hair still beautifully messed up from our little make out session. He bit his lower lip.

"I know. I'm sorry. To be honest, I've never really kissed a girl before this."

He rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly. I smiled, chuckling. Wow, for not ever having been kissed before, Joshua's pretty damn good. He met my gaze again, looking like a little boy with his hand caught in the cookie jar...my cookie jar, to be specific. No, his hands didn't even come close to my chest. They lingered down from my waist a bit but...

"Oh, no, Joshua. It was...nice. You-you did a good job. It's just....my job....oh, it's too complicated to explain. And classified."

Joshua nodded, grabbing the backpack he dropped on the sidewalk and walking over to the door to the pool. He rested his hand on the handle and then turned back to me. I fixed my hair the best I could, wiping my smeared lip gloss with the back of my hand. I smiled a small smile at Joshua, walking up to him and cupping his cheek one more time. He met my eyes again.

"Joshua, don't be depressed about it. You're a good kisser. A great one actually. But, it just wouldn't work out between us. Okay?"

He nodded, his gray eyes keeping back sadness. I felt bad for him. I haven't known him long, barely a week, but I do know that he's a good guy. Any girl would be lucky to have him. He's gorgeous and smart and sweet. I'm just not his girl. I quickly kissed him one more time.

"Maybe someday, when I'm a spy jetting off around the world and you're...whatever you're going to be, we'll have a chance. Goodbye, Joshua. Enjoy your swim."

I tried to ignore the sadness I felt as I turned on my heel and walked back towards the White House and my duty. That was fun but now it's over. There's no chance for Joshua and I. You're lyingThe statement ran through my head for the rest of the evening, as well as the feeling of him kissing me. Oh. Shit. This isn't going to be easy to forget.