Chapter 28

Chapter 28

"Don't make this hard on yourself. Now, your name is?" 

The interrogator's voice was calm and collected, his eyes scanning the lie detector screens in front of him. I took a deep breath, shoving my hands into the front pockets of my jeans. Next to me, Jonathan and another agent I didn't recognize watched from behind one-way glass. I've never see an interrogation in this way before...at least not a real one. I saw a fake one like this during training, but that was training. The agents acting out the interrogation had been my trainers. It had been exhilarating and frightening at the time. Now, seeing an actual interrogation where I'm not the one tied down to the cold metal chair, my heart raced with both excitement and apprehension. 

"Max Coin." he answered, spitting.

I rolled my eyes. They always try to act tough. Jonathan placed his hands on his hips. I bit my lower lip as the lie detector beeped. Lie.

"I will ask one more time. What is your name?"

"I told you. Max Coin." he answered snappishly.

Bad move. The agent standing vigil at the corner of the room nodded at the interrogator, who nodded back. The agent stepped forward, wearing a ski mask to hide his identity. The only thing I could see were his chilling blue eyes. I braced myself. This is going to be an interrogation with torture. My ow memories of being tortured came back me. I'd been drugged, unaware of my surroundings or even what my own name was, and branded with a white-hot iron. The sound of my screams ricocheting off the walls of the room played in my head like a broken record. I didn't realize I was trembling until Jonathan laid a hand on my shoulder.

"Ember, are you all right?" he asked.

I nodded, swallowing. He didn't look convinced. I forced a smile and tried to banish my memories. The interrogation carried on and Jonathan turned back to it. 

"Mr. Coin, as you say your name is, I'm afraid if you refuse to answer we'll be forced to use other means of getting our answers. You can either do this the hard way or the east way. The choice should be obvious. We can be very...persuasive."

Wow, he's good. I would've never been like that. What surprised me the most was how calm he looked, like he did it for a living...wait, he does. Never mind. I just went full moron. Dammit. I'll just shut up now. Ski Mask Agent pulled out a syringe filled with a green liquid I didn't recognize. I furrowed my eyebrows, snapping my head to look at Jonathan. He was worrying away on his lower lip and looked something I've never seen him before. Nervous. He sideways glanced at me. I caught his gaze.

"Jonathan, what is that stuff?" I asked, breaking the requirement to stay silent.

Jonathan shushed me and shook his head, sighing. I didn't realize until I exhaled that I was holding my breath. He answered in a hushed tone. 

"It's truth serum. We've had scientists working on it for years. We've tested it before. It...it works."

My jaw dropped. A truth serum? Holy shit! They're had the research going for years?! Oh My God. This is...huge. With truth serum...it's like a science fiction movie come to life. But, wait, how would they know if it works if they...

"Did you test it on other enemy agents that have been captured here?" I hissed.

Jonathan didn't answer immediatley but I knew the answer by the look on his face. Yes. I didn't know how to respond. All those enemy agents I brought in. All those enemy agents my colleagues brought in. The majority of them must have been subjects, if their country didn't want them back. I tried not to let my imagination waunder to what might have happened to them. It was...horrible. 

"Jonathan! That's...that's not right! Yes, I understand they're enemies, but using them as test subjects?!"

Jonathan shushed me again.

"Ember, I know it's wrong but it's all we had at the time. It's-"

"No," I said, "you could have done something different. There are other ways to test truth serum, Jonathan! I thought I was working for a noble cause. Now, with this possible terrorist group on the rise..."

I trailed off, sighing. Jonathan tried to explain to me his reasons, but none of them were significant. The CIA had taken care of me my whole life. I thought...

"I'm leaving."

I started walking away and didn't stay to listen to whatever Jonathan was saying. I left the agency without Trey. Jonathan can bring him back to the White House. He's not my responsibility. As I climbed into my car, I spotted an agent following me. Jonathan probably sent him. I backed up and sped away without even glancing back.