Chapter 27

Chapter 27

"Holy shit! You work here?" Trey exclaimed as we went through security and I got him a Visitor's pass.

I nodded, smiling. He took the visitor's pass and clipped it to his shirt as I showed the security guard my own ID. He glanced at the picture, then at me, then back to the picture one last time. Smiling, he gave it back to me. I took it, thanking him.

"Yes, I do." I answered, shoving my ID into my back pocket and practically dragging Trey along by his arm as he stumbled over his own two feet.

The CIA's lobby was so familiar to me, I could tell you every little nook and cranny. The marble floors looked like a life-size checker board, surrounding the silver agency seal. I shoved my hands into my back pockets as I strolled casually through the lobby. Trey stopped to look at everything, like a child in a zoo. The Memorial Wall. The front receptionist desk, manned by two security guards. The agency's motto engraved into the marble wall that I knew by heart:

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free"

Trey mouthed the words, his eyebrows furrowing in confusion. All around, people chatted over coffee cups grasped in their hands and folders full of papers or laptops cradled in their arms. I waved hello to one of my colleagues as he met my gaze. He waved back before returning to his conversation with a woman I didn't recognize. I realized that Trey was still gawking at the motto. I rolled my eyes, groaning, and taking a fist full of his shirt. He didn't notice me until I started to drag him along. He protested, squirming and trying to keep his shirt on at the same time. I didn't let go, containing my laughter at how ridiculous he looked trying to get away from me.

I looked around the lobby for Jonathan and eventually spotted him. He saw me first, though, because he was already walking my way. My hold on Trey remained iron clad. He stopped trying to get away. Smart boy. He knows what's good for him. Jonathan raised an eyebrow and glanced around me at Trey. I rolled my eyes, letting him go. He stumbled but righted himself to stand obediently by my side. 

"Hello, Ember. Hello, Trey. I see you got my message?" he said, his tone cool and calm like always.

I nodded as we walked out of the lobby and down hallways. Trey stayed close to me, trying to find his way around. His mouth remained shut as Jonathan briefed me on the information that wasn't classified with Trey standing half a foot away from me. We were soon in the cavernous underground hallways of the CIA headquarters. It was comforting to be back in the sterile and fluorescent lit hallways again, lined with doors. I waved to a few colleagues along the way, listening to Jonathan.

"They were just as we suspected. Radical Islamists. Dark angels. Terrorists, put simply. They're trying to take down the McGallens. We haven't been able to wake your little catch yet. He should be waking soon. Then we can question him properly and, hopefully, find out who he's working for."

I nodded, turning down another hall after Jonathan. Double doors sat at the end of the hallway, labeled in big red lettering CLASSIFIED. CLEARANCE REQUIRED. PROJECT N. Jonathan swiped his ID card through the locking mechanism and typed in his four digit security code. I did the same, following him through the doors as they slowly swung open. Trey gawked in awe. At least it keeps his mouth shut. Just as Trey was about to step through the doors, Jonathan stopped him by placing a hand on his shoulder.

"I'm sorry, Trey, but you can't come here. You don't have clearance." Jonathan said in a cool tone.

Oh. Shit. I waited for Trey to protest but it never came. Instead, he nodded and let an agent whom Jonathan had summoned bring him out. My jaw dropped. Damn. I've known him longer than Jonathan and I could never do that. Ever. Jonathan saw my shocked face and chuckled.

"Surprised?" he asked, raising an eyebrow and smiling.

"Hell yeah." I said as we walked through the top-secret Project N rooms. 

Soon we were at a room I knew all too well. An interrogation room. Oh....