Chapter 8

Chapter 8

The next morning, I woke up with my blankets tangled around my legs. The sunlight poured into my room through the window. I stretched, glancing over at my alarm clock sitting next to my holstered gun on my nightstand. The glowing green numbers flashed the time. 10:34 AM. Okay...wait! TEN THIRTY FOUR AM! Oh shit! I jumped out of bed and ran over to my closet with a speed that only years of training could drill into me. Suddenly, there was a knock at my door. The door opened and I whirled around, frantically looking for something to cover my bottom half. I don't think Victoria's Secret lace panties and a black camisole would be that professional. I grabbed a pair of gray sweatpants and tugged them on just as my visitor stepped in. President McGallen's head popped around my door, looking around and finally spotting me near my closet. I smiled and waved the best I could, probably looking like crap. He closed the door as he stepped in, already dressed in a navy blue suit paired with a red tie. He must have been awake for a few hours now.

"Morning, sir. I'm so sorry. My alarm clock didn't go off and-"

President McGallen held up his hand, silencing me. I closed my mouth obediently.

"No worries, Ember. I was actually just coming in here to give you the day off. Margaret and I want to take the kids out bowling for the day while Chancellor Rosenthal works with Mr. Greyson and Mrs. Padilla today."

A day off? I've never had a day off from anything work related. When I'm not on missions, I'm either training or doing odd jobs around CIA headquarters that Mr. Wells gives me. I don't go to school. I've been homeschooled my whole life by a teacher the CIA chose. I finished high school already, even though I'm only seventeen. I was about to apply for college before this mission but then it popped  up. I wouldn't have to go to college, seeing as I'll have my job with the CIA for the rest of my life, but I want that experience. "Everyone should experience what college is like. It's a wonderful time, Ember, even if you don't stay for your full degree. I surely enjoyed my years as a college girl." My foster mother, Agent Addison Montgomery, had said when I told her I wanted to apply for a college. She was all on-board with the idea and so was my foster father, Agent Garrett Thompson. The CIA's Project N foster homes are run by both a man and a woman agent to give the illusion of being "parents". It's all for show.

"Um...okay. Thank you, sir. Are you sure you want me to take the day off?" I said.

President McGallen nodded.

"Yes, Ember, I do. You've been such an amazing-and tolerant, might I add-bodyguard to all of us. Margaret and I agree it's only fitting we give you this day to yourself. Go have fun."

I was so shocked that my brain could barely process what he was saying. The president of the United States just gave me the day off. How many people can actually say that? It's as crazy as it sounds. I brought myself back to reality, smiling at President McGallen.

"Okay. Thank you so much, sir!" I said.

President McGallen nodded and turned on his heel to leave.

"Oh! I almost forgot!" he said, turning back around to face me, "Here, they found this in the ballroom from the day of the muffin incident. I thought you might want it back."

Picking something up off the floor, he threw a familiar Coach evening bag onto my unset bed. I glanced at it. The only present I will accept from the McGallens. I smiled again, thanking him for the third time. He smiled again and bid me goodbye, leaving and shutting the door behind him. I quickly changed into a pair of short blue jean shorts from Hollister, a white camisole, a purple baggy tank top, and flip flops. Glancing at myself in the mirror on my closet door, I barely recognized myself. The last time I didn't wear my usual ensemble (black-top-black-bottom) on a day I was supposed to work was...(excluding last night, of course)...I can't even remember when. I ran into my private bathroom, swiping on a light coat of makeup and making myself presentable. Ten minutes later I had my teeth brushed, hair combed and curled, and perfume on.

Seizing my new purse, I emptied the contents of my old beaten up Guess bag (which I've had since I was fourteen) and switched them over to my new bag. iPhone, car keys, wallet, CIA ID tag, tube of pineapple flavored lip gloss (how long has that been in there?), and pepper spray. I tossed the pepper spray, which was expired anyway, and lip gloss. If anyone attacks me, I can just knock them out cold anyway. The lip gloss...well, who knows how old that stuff is and I'm not about to find out the hard way. Slinging the bag over my shoulder, I grabbed my trusty handgun (which was sitting, holstered, under my mattress) and shoved it into my bag as well. What? I have a license to carry one. That plus my CIA ID will get me out of anything that might happen if someone sees it. The new leather smelled nice, like a new car interior. With everything I needed, I left my room to go driving around for something to do.