Chapter 35

Chapter 35

I slept in late the next day. Garret and I had reached Buckingham Palace at exactly midnight. The mission briefing had gone over what they had expected. These suspects are some pretty shady characters, their closets full of skeletons. But, when you're part of a terrorist network hell bent on taking down the First Family, who isn't shady? Believe it or not, this is only moderately difficult. I've been through worse. Much, much worse. 

I sat up in my fluffy bed, surrounded with puffy pillows and a thick comforter that locked in all heat. Despite the fact that I was wearing a camisole and panties, I was covered in a faint sheen of sweat. Damn. I started to kick away the blankets when I saw a person standing near my bedroom door. Gasping, I shot towards the nightstand to grab my gun. In one swift motion, I had it aimed and ready to fire at the intruder. I never miss. 

"Whoa! Ember, it's just me!" a familiar voice came from the person as he stepped forward and I recognized the face.

Joshua. Lowering my gun, I let a breath I hadn't known I'd been holding fizzle out of me. Why does he do that?! I've told him just like I've told the rest of the McGallen family, don't scare me. Ever. If you do, well, I might shoot you. Literally. I'm used to terrorists and deranged serial killers sneaking up behind me. My body will take over and you might just have a bullet to your head or gut. Just saying. 

"Joshua, don't do that! Who are you, Edward Cullen?" I snapped, pulling the blankets over my bare legs.

Joshua smiled, chuckling. I placed the handgun on the nightstand, not bothering with the holster. Joshua wouldn't grab my gun and shoot it. He's not an idiot. 

"Yes, Ember. I'm a half-faerie vampire who sparkles in the sun." Joshua said sarcastically, shoving his hands into the pockets of his jeans and standing next to my bed.

I took one look into his gorgeous gray eyes and almost swooned. Wait...isn't he supposed to be mad at me? I thought-

"Okay, okay," I said, a small smile creeping across my lips, "What do you want, Joshua?" 

His own smile fell and he looked down at his feet. I watched him, waiting. Uh oh. Did something happen? Oh My God, I hope nothing happened to his mom. Or the McGallens. Oh shit, the McGallens! 

"Joshua, what-"

"I love you!" he blurted, meeting my gaze. 

I was taken so much aback that it took my a minute to process and respond.

"What?"

Joshua sighed.

"I love you, Ember. Ever since I first saw you, I had a huge crush on you. I've been trying to rationalize it and tell myself it wouldn't work but..."

He trailed off. Our gazes locked and we stared at each other for what had to be five minutes. He didn't need to continue. I knew he was going to ask me if I loved him. I couldn't think of a way to respond. I'm never caught off guard. This is just...strange. Do I love him? My brain told me no but my heart screamed yes. I licked my bottom lip. Joshua leaned in and soon his lips were on mine. I didn't waste any time. I pulled him down over me, kissing him with everything I had. His hands ran over my, tugging on my camisole. 

"I'll take that as you love me back." Joshua said, kissing the small spot under my ear before traveling down to my neck. 

My breath hitched. I wanted him. Wanted him so badly. My brain was screaming at me, telling me to pull away. I ignored it. I know what I want. Joshua pulled my camisole, leaving a trail of scorching kisses along my collarbone. I unbuttoned his shirt, pushing it away. He groaned, finding my mouth again and kissing me intensely. My hands found the button of his jeans. I started undoing them when realization came to me.

"Wait! What about protection?" I asked.

He pulled away from nibbling my jaw to look at my face. I can't get pregnant. Not yet, that is. I'm only seventeen and on a mission...technically. If I got pregnant my whole life would be ruined. I wouldn't have a job with the CIA anymore, which means no more foster home, which means no more home period. I doubt Joshua wants a baby either. There's already enough pressure for him trying to hide his being-the-president's-secret-son issue. Adding a baby to the mix would only make it harder.

"Dammit!" he exclaimed, hitting the pillow next to us with his fist, "I'll be careful."

He started kissing me again and soon we were lost in a tangle of limbs, kisses, and sheets. What? I never promised Garret I'd wait until I was married...oh well.