Chapter 36

Chapter 36

"All right, you lot, get in. We haven't got all day." 

Ariana, the princess of Wales, Meredith, Mrs. McGallen, and I stood next to a long black limousine. The Royal Family's private guard (my partner) gestured to the open door where the chauffeur stood. Meredith and Ariana climbed in first, giggling and talking in excited whispers about their "girl's day out." Mrs. McGallen rifled through her purse, muttering to herself about finding her lipstick tube. I crossed my arms over my chest, dark sunglasses sitting over my eyes. My partner was a guy about my age with sandy blonde hair and big brown eyes. His accent was clearly Scottish and he was somewhat short. He wore the same ensemble as me except with a golden band wrapped around his biceps emblazoned with the royal insignia. My CIA ID was clipped to the inside of my shirt, on the strap of my camisole in-case I needed to whip it out. Guards check ID's. They already know I'm with the McGallens where we're going. I still need my ID to prove it. Typical security.

My head was still spinning from doing...it with Joshua. It was Joshua's first time...at least I believe it was. By the way he was going, I wouldn't be surprised if he told me it wasn't. I had no doubts now that I loved Joshua as much as he loves me. He'd whispered it over and over (along with other terms of endearment) to me. At least with him I don't have to hide the fact that I'm a CIA agent. That's one of a spy's biggest fears when dating a civilian. Their secret being blown. Fortunately, Joshua knows how to hold an even bigger secret. 

I followed Mrs. McGallen and my partner (his name is either Keegan or Dean) into the limousine and the chauffeur closed the door behind me. Soon, the engine kicked into gear and we were pulling out into the insanity that is London. Ariana and Meredith sat hunched over Ariana's iPhone, scrolling through Facebook and Twitter and Instagram. Keegan (or Dean, whichever!) cleared his throat, leaning over so he could whisper into my ear.

"Did William brief you on the mission already?" he asked.

I nodded.

"Yes, I was briefed last night. Tell me, how does this band have any association with our suspects or this network? I wasn't filled in on that little detail."

Keegan/Dean gave me a look. What? I'm a spy, not a know-it-all.

"One of the members of the band was blackmailed, just like one of our other suspects, into the network. I-"

A high pitched squeal broke our hushed conversation. Ariana, as if she hadn't been excited enough, was bouncing up and down in her seat. Meredith was doing the exact same thing. Wow. We've only been in London one day and these two are best friends. Just freaking great.

"I can't believe we get to meet One Direction in person!" she squealed, laughing.

I rolled my eyes and made a growling sound in the back of my throat. Don't remind me. Ariana and Meredith may be ecstatic as hell but I'm surely not. I find One Direction annoying. Their songs are over-played both here and in America. End of story. I sat back into the leather upholstery that smelled like new. The ceiling, like many other limousines, was decorated with LED lights that changes colors and resembled the night sky. It was beautiful. 

"I know! They're bloody gorgeous, aren't they? Which one do you fancy the most?" Meredith copied Ariana's high-pitched squeal.

I toyed with the comms unit stuck into my ear. I haven't worn this thing for a while because I didn't have to. The CIA told me to wear it again shortly before this particular vacation-disguised-mission. Right now, the line was clear of chatter. The comms base was back at Buckingham Palace. There will be another one where we're going that we can hook onto. You gotta love spy technology. Sometimes it's effing awesome. Other times, well, you wish it would go to hell. The feelings are mutual. I turned to Keegan/Dean again.

"Which band member, might I ask?" I whispered.

"I LOVE ZAYN!" Ariana screamed, making the comms unit microphone get feedback.

The shrill ringing burst into my ear and I gasped, my hand darting up to pull the thing out of my ear. Simultaneously, Keegan/Dean swore and pulled his from his own ear. I rubbed my ear and glared at Ariana. Meredith and Ariana burst out laughing. I glared at them longer. So did Keegan/Dean and Mrs. McGallen.

"Ariana, apologize. They're probably half deaf already." Mrs. McGallen ordered.

Ariana stopped laughing and stuttered an apology before giggling and whispering with Meredith about One Direction. I rubbed my ear, indeed half deaf. Keegan/Dean did the same, muttering very colorful choice words under his breath. I was glad Preston wasn't around to hear them. Suddenly, through the speakers came One Direction's newest song. The girls screamed and started singing along in out-of-tune voices. Keegan/Dean and I still worked on our ears. Well, there goes my right ear. Just great. Mrs. McGallen's phone started chirping with a text message. She opened the message and her eyes went wide. I raised an eyebrow.

"Is everything all right, ma'am?" I raised my voice to be heard over the Princess and First Daughter.

She bit her lip and went pale as a ghost. I tried to grab her phone, but she jerked it away from me. Huh. That's strange. Putting the phone into her purse, she forced what I knew was a fake smile and nodded.

"Oh, yes, Ember. Everything's fine. It's nothing important." she answered, not meeting my gaze as she said it.

I opened my mouth to question her more but Keegan/Dean laid a hand on my shoulder to stop me. Glancing at him, he shook his head. I sat back obediently, my mind racing with possibilities. What happened? Was it important? Why won't she tell me? Does it involve me? All different variables buzzed around in my head like a hive of angry bees. For the rest of the ride, I let myself sink into thought and eventually drowned out the girls screaming the lyrics to One Direction's album.