Chapter 38

Chapter 38

"Well, well, well, who do we have here, Zayn?" Harry Styles said, placing a finger on his chin and tapping it as if thinking deeply.

I crossed my arms over my chest, tapping my foot and cocking my right hip out to the side. Keegan (his name isn't Dean) stood at attention next to me, keeping a close watch on Meredith and Ariana as they silently freaked out that they were meeting their favorite band to ever roam the Earth. Everyone knows One Direction. Harry's the flirt. Zayn's the shy one. Liam's the smart one and the quote-quote "leader". Louis's the sassy one, and Niall's the...Irish one? Hungry one? I don't know much about them. I'm a spy not a crazed  fan girl. As if I have time to prowl the Internet for their latest news, stare at pictures of them, and stalk their social media accounts. I have enough on my plate with the McGallens needing protection, thank you very much.

"It looks like we have the darling Princess of Wales and America's Princess, the First Daughter, Zayn. What're your names, loves?"

Ariana and Meredith squealed and cleared their throats before answering. I almost laughed at the failed sexy look Meredith was trying to pull off. Just no. It's not working for you, Meredith. I knew they knew their names.

"I'm Ariana." Ariana answered, trying to copy Meredith's sexy look, which only made me want to laugh more.

"I'm Meredith." 

They both wore expressions of extreme awe as they sat down on the sectional white leather sofa set up in the boys backstage lounge. Tonight, apparently, they pay a concert for a cancer benefit. Each boy sat next to each other, starting polite conversation that Meredith and Ariana practically melted during. Meanwhile, my eyes darted around. One of these boys is part of a terrorist network? They don't seem like terrorist material at all. But, fortunately, I know better. Looks can be deceiving. Very deceiving. Nobody would expect a Top 40's pop sensation teen heart throb to be a terrorist, now would they? I sighed, placing my hands on my hips and pursing my lips. Keegan cleared his throat. The band members seemed to realize us for the first time. Mrs. McGallen had gone back to Buckingham Palace after she received a second call on her phone that set her back to isolated and mysterious mode. If there's anyone on the planet to leave two of the worlds most important teenage girls, it's with two highly-trained spies. That's a no brainer.

"Now, who else do we have here? Secret Service?" Niall asked, his eyes glittering in the light of the hang-out room.

I pushed my tongue into my cheek, leaving Ariana and Meredith to introduce us.

"Boys, this is my bodyguard Ember."

"And this is my bodyguard, Keegan." 

Meredith and Ariana giggled. The boys waved at us. Keegan nodded a polite nod in response while I gave a small wave. Both our eyes were hidden by dark sunglasses. Their eyes didn't leave us. Okay, what do they want now? I didn't plan on talking much and I doubt Keegan did either.

"Bodyguards, you say? Aren't you a little young to be a bodyguard, love?"

I nearly growled. I hate it when people underestimate me. International pop stars or not. I swallowed my own choice words.

"I am perfectly capable of protecting Ariana, thank you very much."

The boys laughed. Harry's ever-so-famous curls bounced. I clasped my hands together behind my back, restraining from decking the famous boy band.

"I thought it was a man's job to protect one of the world's most precious icons?" Zayn piped in, causing more laughter.

I gritted my teeth and exhaled deeply. Keegan's hand wrapped around my forearm. I looked over at him. He shook his head, like earlier in the limousine. Fine then. I shook his hand off.

"It can be a woman's job if I say it can. Are we clear?" I asked in an icy tone.

The boys stopped laughing. Niall was the first to speak.

"All right, lay off the girl, mates. Remember Crys? For all we know, she could be an international spy on a top secret mission."

Meredith, Ariana, the the boys laughed. The boys shared glances as if they were sharing an inside joke. I tried to look unfazed by the obvious joke. Of course, with our suspicions of one of the members being a terrorist, it was a suspicious comment. Could it be the Irish one? The one that's always hungry and, apparently, funny? He, honestly, doesn't seem like terrorist material. He just doesn't have the guarded way a terrorist has. It's usually like the guarded-ness of a spy except more sinister and indicating something dark. It took me years to master looking for people with that kind of sense to them. 

"Yes, because looks can be deceiving, now can't they?" I lowered my sunglasses so the boys could see my eyes and winked.

A satisfied smirk twisted Harry's full lips. The rest of the boys look slightly frightened. I smirked, satisfied myself. Pushing my sunglasses back over my eyes, I cleared my throat. Keegan chuckled beside me as Meredith and Ariana recovered from their states of shock and started chatting with the boys again. Harry's eyes occasionally drifted over to me. I ignored them. My suspicions rose for him. Is it him? Possibly. I guess I'll find out. 

(Hey guys! So, Crys is actually a real person from another book on Wattpad. The book is called CIA Bully and her full name is Crystal Whirlpool. Wanna know what the boys inside joke was...well, aside from the international spy one...then read it! Read it up! Check it out! It's a great book! It's written by a girl named Kristel Rjabov. Wow, I have done a lot of mentions in this book. Well, anyway, bye-bye for now!)