Chapter 21

(AUTHOR'S NOTE: I've received lots of comments of people confused by the contents of this chapter. I don't want my readers to be confused, so I'll help clear it up. The following chapter is meant to be a plot twist. It was one I originally planned to be a big bombshell twist. With that being said, please enjoy! I understand if it changes your view on the novel. I'm sorry if it does. Thank you for all your support! -bellav173)

Chapter 21

After scarfing down four plates of Addy's world famous (okay, maybe not world famous, per say) American chop suey, Garret drove me back to White House in his silver BMW sedan. Being the fall, with all the leaves changed and falling, the sunset looked even more beautiful. I sat in the passenger's seat, clutching the book I'd grabbed from my shelf because I had to grab something. I did tell him I wanted to go home to grab something. It was the first thing I saw. Therefore, I grabbed it.

"So, Ember, Jonathan has something for you." Garret eventually said ten minutes into the ride.

I raised an eyebrow, turning my head to face his profile.

"What is it?"

"He replaced your car. Since your old one got completely totaled," don't remind me, "he felt he needed to get you a new one as soon as you were ready to return. I'll call him later to let him know you were released today. Your laptop has also been replaced, courtesy of the President."

My jaw dropped. A new car? Jonathan bought me a new car? Seriously? That's awesome! And President McGallen bought me a new laptop? That's...oh. shit. I completely forgot to tell Jonathan about the terrorist! Dammit! I was so sucked into my injury and Joshua (and Joshua's lips) that I completely forgot! I tried not to let my worry show on my face. Calm down. Nothing happened when you were in the hospital. You can call him tomorrow and let him know. I sighed, sitting back and forcing a smile. I hoped it was convincing.

"That's awesome. What kind of a car?" I asked, faking my enthusiasm only partially.

"Another Audi. He knows you like those. It's a TTS Roadster convertible."

I do. I do like Audis. And it's a convertible. My boss is amazing. Enough said. My boss is freaking amazing. Who else goes out and buys one of their youngest employees a fifty thousand dollar car? None. Nino. Zip. Nada. Zilch...insert any other word that means zero.

"Now, young lady, there's something I need to talk to you about." Garret said, turining all serious as he steered masterfully through traffic of the tourist district.

My heart dropped. What did he find out about? Joshua? Does he know about Joshua and I? If that's the case then my whole job could be ruined.

"Yes?" I asked, forcing my voice to remain level.

"Recently, there have been some unusual attacks around the US on computers. People keep reporting seeing a video of a terrorist talking about how "evil" our country is and how we should, quote, "be brought down to our death". I want you to watch the McGallens even closer than before. It's starting to become a serious issue. The CIA is working on it with the FBI but so far they haven't gotten very much information."

I breathed a sigh of relief inaudibly. I hadn't realized I'd been holding my breath until then. Okay. Joshua and I are safe. I nodded.

"Will do." I answered.

We drove in silence the rest of the way. I saw the White House through the trees lining the sidewalk and smiled. Back to work for me. I can't-

"Wait! Stop!" I commanded, spotting something that sent anger flooding through me.

Garret slammed on the brakes. Fortunately, nobody was behind us. Without waiting for his answer, I jumped out of the car and ran. Garret yelled at me to stop, but I didn't. Hiding behind a building, I stripped off my jacket and released my wings. The whoosh of air that followed them sent waves of adrenaline through my veins. My wings are strong and powerful, according to the people of Project N. The wings of a warrior angel. I didn't have time to awe in their beautiful white glory as I jumped and took off, shooting up into the sky. Garret's voice faded into the distance as I flew higher and higher, gaining altitude and leaving the world behind. Flying up into the clouds, I looked around frantically. I saw it. A dark angel, with wings black as night, flew ahead of me. I couldn't see his face but I knew he was up to no good. They always are. I followed him, gaining speed as I cut through the sky. Planning a surprise attack, I flew above him.

Staying above the clouds is vital. Humans don't know about the Nephilim, and if they were to find out all hell would break loose. At least if I stay above the clouds, even to an airplane flying by, I would look like an abnormally large bird. Remembering what my flight instructor told me all those years about aerial assaults, I swooped down and hit the dark angel full force. There was a second of confusion and then the fighting began.