Chapter 4

Life was wonderful. I jumped from the balcony to the roof of another building. My freshly cut fur glimmered in the moonlight. I was all grown up.
    If you may, try to remember me. I'm Marie. I was a kitten a while back. I am now a full adult cat! Toula, Mariette and Berlay are still kittens. I miss them. I went my separate way from my siblings. Now, I explore the roofs of Paris day and night. Usually a few times a week I'll stop by Madame's house. Maybe once I find a mate I can move back. Then have kittens! Ha. I don't wanna make Mama feel old. But I think that would be funny. I now search the roofs all the time, searching for my soulmate. And I have a feeling I will find him soon. I stumble across shingles with O'Malley, sometimes, and Toulouse. But those are some of the only times I come into contact with my family. Usually when I see O'Malley, he is training Toula to be a tough cat. I miss Mama sometimes. That's when I visit her. But I really want to find that one special cat who will change my life. I sometimes see cats jumping roof to roof every once in awhile, like me. I try to be nice to them. Sometimes they're mean, sometimes nice. But, hey, at least I've made lots of friends. I meet one really nice friend and I miss seeing them after that. Really, life again. I just want to find that one cat so very badly.
    I had got my fur cut on a stop to Madame's yesterday. Sure, I went there to eat. But that was barely all I did. Heck, I could even go to the bathroom in 'the wild' now. Cool, huh? And to think I used to whine every time.
    That's when I saw a gray cat prancing down the shingles. Well, more like running. In fact, very fast. I moved before he bumped into me.
    "Hey!" I shouted. "Watch out!" He didn't even glance back. Rude. Then another cat came along. Two cats in a night? Well, was I lucky. This gentlecat was actually nice.
    "Well, hello, sweet lady.'' He did that eyebrow thing where you quickly lift them up and then back down. I call it swervy eyebrows.
    "Oh, you really are a flatterer.'' I said, and laughed. "I'm Marie.'' The cat looked at me as if I were a million dollars. "Marie. Is that right? Only a pure angel could have that name. And, of course, you are one." he whispered quickly. I smiled. "Who might you be?'' I said, with a cute tilt of the head. "Well, you are a true princess. And I? I? I am Prince. Your prince.'' I was surprised. This cat had flirted with me before I even knew his name. And when I just figured out his name!
    Prince lifted his paw in front of his face, as if trying to remember something. Then he nodded to himself. "Aren't you one of Duchess' kits? Live with Madame Adelaide Bonfamille?'' he said. I nodded my head. He said Madame's name with such elegance. "Say that again?'' I said, sweetly as I could. Of course I knew what he had said. I just wanted to hear that again. He repeated himself. I just loved how Prince said it. Ad-lade Boh-fa-me. The words whisked his tongue. I nodded. "Yes, I am." I said, as aristocatically as I could. He wrinkled his nose. "Ain't those no-good twins Edgar and Agatha your butler and maid?" he asked. I shook my head. "They used to be, but are long gone." I explained. "We have a new maid named Clemence." Prince shook his shoulders, it looked like with hope. "And...them? You still live there?" he smiled. I tilted my head. "Partly." I responded. He seemed happier now. "Meet me here, same time tomorrow Sweets, kay?" he said, almost romantically. I instinctively nodded. My mate could be here.
    I had spent all day talking to Mariette about it, and also Mama. Mariette was excited and Mama was proud to see me grown up. She said she was happy I was at least trying to find a mate, unlike Toulouse who, well, just went into the wild. He comes back every few weeks for a day at the time. No one ever bothers to ask him where he goes or what he does. But I'm sure everyone wonders.
    Berlioz remains at Madame's house, never going out. He has some girlfriend named Clovisse. Berlioz calls her Clover, and she's just the biggest goody two shoes ever. She has to be better than everyone, she has to have everything. She is just a giant spoiled brat. I was like that when I was little, but I grew out of it. Clovisse is never gonna change.
    Rebel is the only one of us Aristokittens who is married. She has a mate named Zeke. I think that's a pretty cool name. Edgy, almost. They live in Madame's house too, which is cool. Sadly, Rebel said they will never have kittens, for the fear that they will be blind like her. I have no idea if the blindness resulted from genetics or an accident, but I'm gonna guess it is genetics.
    My fur was perfectly combed, my new faux gold and real diamond collar glimmered. I looked mature yet young and free at the same moment. It was amazing. Mama had let a small bit of fur hang off my head, like human hair. I think it looked cool. So there you have it. Cool, mature, young, free. That's just me. I thought I looked quite well.
    The final test was brought forth soon enough, for it was soon the time to go. I waved Mama goodbye as scaled the roofs to the rights spot. Come a few minutes, he was there. I shook, giddy with happiness. Prince seemed nervous. "Listen." he started. "I want to ask you something." I watched him, then nodded. Come on, Prince. You can say it.
"Will you marry me?"
    I gasped, as if I hadn't known what he would ask me. "Oh, Prince..." I realized, nervous. I had almost just met him. But I let go of my instinct. I let my heart guide the way.
"I will."
    The two words hung in the air between us. Smiles painted both our faces. I finally got what I had wanted my whole life. Now to kittens, and then to life. Then to my dream future.
    But I was marrying a cat I had only seen twice in my life. A cat I hadn't known until yesterday. It was crazy. But it was true love.
    "Now to tell our parents!" I whistled and nodded. Mama would be so proud. Me and Prince were awesome. I had already planned our kitten's names. Two boys, and two girls. Ab--
    "Oh, wait! You're Marie. I'm so sorry. I meant to ask someone I met named Rebel. I'm terribly sorry." he said quickly, as if ashamed. Then he ran off.
    Ok, there were three things I needed to find out, right now.
⦿ Which Rebel did Prince want to marry?
⦿ If it was my Rebel, was she leaving Zeke?
⦿ Does Prince foolishly just flatter everyone he meets?
Something was up. And I was determined to find out.