Chapter 13

(VERY SHORT, I didn't have much time to write and neither did Jacob so...yeah...)
The next morning, I woke up early. No other cat was awake. It was just becoming light. I glanced out the window, and on the small edge of a window sill sat none other than Bristol.
At first I thought I was imagining things, or seeing my reflection. But then Bristol started moving. She mewed and pawed at the glass. I nodded and gave all my strength to pull the window open. It cracked up about three inches, and Bristol slid under. I slightly regret it now, but my first words were, "Why did you run away?" Bristol's eyes teared up. "Well, let me tell you a story, Mama. I know you will love it."
"I was playing with a purple, sparkly ball that Berlioz had given me. He said that Madame had gotten it for him when he was just a kitten. I batted the ball, and it landed on the window's edge. I jumped up, thinking I could get the ball--but I couldn't. I started falling. When I hit the ground, I heard a pop, and everything went black.
When I woke up, five rough looking cats surrounded me. The first thing I said was, 'Where's O'Malley?'. Well, get this--one cat, who looked almost exactly like O'Malley, said, 'My groovy twin brother. Been so long since I seen him.' I explained to him about how O'Malley was my adoptive father, and I asked him that he tell me O'Malley's full name. And guess what he said? Abraham deLacy, Giuseppe Casey, Thomas O'Malley. And I told him he was right, and then I asked his name. Apparently, his name was Knox deLacy, Cabot Casey, Hawthorne O'Malley. He introduced me to his gang...they were alley cats!
I asked Hawthorne if he could bring me back, but he said no. Although he did say he could teach me the way back. So every day for a whole month, 20 hours a day, Hawthorne taught me the way back. We also spent some quality time together, since I was his adoptive niece. Finally, when I knew the lay of the land enough, he said, 'Wait. I have one more thing for you.' He laid this little box in my paw and then strapped it to my back. He told me not to open it until I got home. So I made the journey back--and now here I am."
Bristol took a big, long breath. I would explain to her everything else later. "So what are you waiting for?" I smiled. "Let's open that box!"
We lifted the box off Bristol's back, and I untangled the chains keeping it closed. Inside, at the top of the box, was a note.

Dear Bristol,
I know sometimes things will be hard. I know that they will
be completely bad at times. But you're a smart cat, and I
know it. You'll grow up to outwit me and every other alley
cat I've ever seen. I was waiting for someone like you to
come along. I'm going to give this to you. When I was little,
my sister was taken to the shelter and never returned. It
was hard on me. But that's when my father gave me what
I am giving to you, and he said that this heirloom has been
passed on for at least five generations. Now it's your turn,
Bristol. Make your mark.
Sincerely,
Uncle Hawthorne

After reading the note, we lifted it. Under it was a small flute. Bristol stuck it in her mouth and blew. A beautiful tune rang out.
I hugged Bristol tight and grabbed my harp. "Well," I smirked. "Now that you're here, let's play some music."
Bristol played her flute while I stroked the harp. Maybe I wasn't such a bad mother. Maybe, in times of distress, there is a light. And my little light had a name. My little light was shared by everyone. This certain little light, if it stays, can fix anything.
Hope.