Chapter 30

I was finally getting my pictures taken today. It was the day! The photographer put on a pretty, beautiful purple dress on me. I did many poses, being the beautiful cat I was. But then I saw the photos.
    In every single photo, there was a face in the background. A wispy face, large, red eyes. Its red hands were held in the air, as if to say, "Save me!"
"Ummm... M'am? There are weird red faces on all of my photos. Why?" I forgot the photographer was a human, not a cat. She wouldn't understand me. Then I looked again at the photos. The face was gone.

I quickly looked away, and then back again. Again, they returned there. I repeated this. Every time, the face would appear and disappear. Was this...Duchess?
Yes, Marie. I heard a voice in my ear. I was just playing with you. Do not be afraid, my dear.
That sure was a good way. I laughed. But then I looked at the photo again. A dark green, solid, evil face was in them now. I tried to ask Duchess if it were her. She would not answer. Maybe she had really got me this time. Or maybe I was messing with the supernatural.I decided to walk home. But halfway there, the face had changed!    

Hello. The ghost I thought was mama said. "Mama? Is that you?"
I asked. Maybe so, maybe not. The strange face exclaimed. "You aren't my mother. She would have already said 'Hello' if it was her."
You're smart, Marie. I gasped. "How do you know my name?" I  asked questionably. I know everything about you. The ghost creepily said. "Then who is my mate?" I reluctantly asked. Adam... The ghost whispered in my ear. "Okay, that's creepy." I said.
On the rest of the way home it kept telling things about me. The ghost kept telling more private things about me like stuff only in my mind. "Okay that's it. Goodbye!" I started to throw the pictures. Then the ghost came out of the picture! You can't get rid of me. I will never go away. I will haunt you FOREVER...      
The ghost then disappeared. I picked up the pictures and I ran. Dirt flew up behind me. Hopefully, the ghost didn't know where I lived. But I knew that he did.
I walked home, a bag on my back. I put the pictures in my small bag. "Ghost, ghost, ghost..." I whispered to myself, sighing. "Ghosts before, ghost nows. Blade, Dubte, Duchess, and more. All ghosts! I'm here, a mysterious voice called. "Who are you?" I asked the air. It's me, Marie. The voice said. Ugh, not this again. I told you I would haunt you FOREVER, not for an hour. I laughed. That was almost  funny. But it wasn't. I was now stuck with an everlasting ghost following me, watching me, everywhere I go. It was haunting me, and it thought it was funny. Then I noticed--the ghost had a cut ear. Its marbled brown fur stuck against it, and his transparency still didn't conceal the scars on him.
"Prince, is that you?
The ghost laughed. "Nope, try again." he said. I groaned. "Umm...maybe..."
I was puzzled. I didn't know. "I give up." I said, waving my hands in the air.
"I am your grandfather."
    I looked at him in awe. My grandfather. "O'Malley or Duchess?" I asked him, inquisition in my eyes. My grandfather laughed. "I ain't pretty enough to be Duchess' father in a million y'ers!" he chuckled. Then he became serious. "But I come with news."
    "Amethyst, I've found her. She lives in Yorkshire, making a living on the streets by singing to little kittens who are alone. ALso, other cats, but mostly kittens. Y'know they don't like singing's much as they young when they get older. Well, you here in Berwick, what should you do? Well, my daughter's out there, voicing to everyone who comes along. Go and save her, bring her back? You'll be my hero. But you gotta watch out in Yorkshire."
    I started listening really carefully. "That place's filled with strays. They'll take you off the street and beatcha up fast as you can say my gosh. That's the kinda stuff my dear Amethyst girl deals with everyday. Please save her." I didn't know what to say. I wanted to help, but I didn't want to leave home either
    I tried to ask him more, but he disappeared. Where'd he go? Maybe I could bring Berlioz with me, maybe Toulouse, possibly Rebel or maybe even Toula? I made up my mind and decided to ask ALL of them. Hey, you never know. Maybe even bring O'Malley! Of course I'm not taking Adam. I don't want for him to get hurt. But maybe we could? Wait...a thought popped into my head. What if I brought along everybody? Even Clemence and George. Heck, even dainty little Amy Rose! Even...Bess. Okay... maybe not Bess. Well, yeah Bess. Who would she stay with? No one, if everyone came. I heard a sound. Oh my gosh! It was...MJ and Sunshine Meow!
    "We've been listening. We're coming!" Sunshine Meow announced, smiling. And that was only the beginning.
    I told everybody in the house. They all wanted to come. I told Mariette and her husband, as well as Toula and her gang. I told everyone.Somehow, I don't know how, even Clemence and George knew. Maybe one of Duchess' tricks. We all got into the limo and began to cruise toward Yorkshire. Every single one of every more than forty of us.
    The wind in my face felt so good. We were cruising into town. It had been forever since I had been to town. Nearly since we had moved here. The road forked, and George (who was driving) took the left turn. The sign said, "Out Of Berwick". Hmm.
    Clemence unruffled a map, looking at it. "According to my calculations..." she started, counting on her fingers. "We should be in Yorkshire in about two hours. It's not that long from here."
    I began to think--what a coincidence it was that almost all of my family ended up in England, and we ended up moving here. It was very interesting. Maybe it was one of grandfather's little tricks. Or just a ghost in general's tricks.
    About 20 minutes into the ride, Duke began to tell a story to the kittens. The was a special covered living area at the back of the limo, cat sized. Mini cat chairs, mini cat beds--this cat sized room had it all! Dune was curled up on a bed, while Snap was jumping off the walls. Ione was peacefully reading a book, and Mount was listening to the story, along with most of the ther kittens. Diamond, TJ and Cannes, however, were not, considering that they're growing up. In human years they'd probably be about 12 or 13. Yep, early teenagers. Diamonds was writing in her diary. In fact, when I looked closer, I noticed they were all writing in journals. I tuned into Duke's story.
    "The brave little lynx growled at the lion, and the lion growled back, but louder and uglier!" He exclaimed. Sycamore and Oak were both puffing out their chests, happy to have lynx in their history. The ride continued. Bump. Bump. Bumpity bump. I heard a loud boom. Whatever.
    Paris and Lanc were discussing the latest tunes, while Bristol and TJ were play fighting. Sara was captured within a book. Abe Gio was sitting in the corner, muttering to himself. Kit was trying to coax him to listen to the story. "I don't wanna." he whispered, attempting to push Kai away. I rolled my eyes. Abe Gio. Nice one minute, grumpy the next. I began to read a book I had been loving called Three Lives Lived Once. I found my page and started.