17

Mom

Today is the day that we receive the big news from Kevin. I was excited and nervous at the same time. What he had to tell us, that was so big we all had to get together is nerve wracking. "Guys hurry up and come on so we aren't late" I yelled upstairs to Alex and my husband. "We're coming!" They yelled in unison. I folded my arms and waited for them at the bottom of the stairs.

10 minutes later

Finally they were coming down and I couldn't of been more irritated. "Mmhm. What happened to we're coming?" I said hands on my hip. Alex just let out a chuckle as he headed for the car. I rolled my eyes and got in the passenger seat, buckling up my seatbelt. "Let's go" I said looking at my husband. He started the car and pulled out the driveway.

"Have you told the kids we're on the way?" He shook his head no and pulled out his phone to text one of them. "No! What have I told you about texting and driving?" He let out a heavy sigh and continued to scroll through his contacts. His disregard for what I told him really pissed me off. "So you're going to ignore what I just said and keep doing what you want?" I could see I was getting under his skin because he shifted around in his seat. "Please don't start this shit right now. Learn how to shut up sometimes." I was taken aback at how rude he was so I slapped him across the face. That started a full on argument. He was now giving all his attention to me and not the road.

"Stop sign. Stop sign. STOP SIGN!" Yelled Alex but it was too late. We were already half way through the intersection when a SUV hit us on my side flipping is over a few times. I felt my leg break on impact and my husband's head slam into the window slightly shattering it. Blood ran down his face as he laid there what seemed to be lifeless. I looked down to see a piece of metal going completely through my side. I was bleeding profusely and slowly losing consciousness. I couldn't fight it any longer and closed my eyes.

Alex

"I tried yelling stop sign but they were too deep into their argument to hear what I was saying. Before I knew it we were being hit by an SUV. They could've been going 50, maybe 60 mph. Even though my mom had her seatbelt on she was pierced through her side with something shard, and my dad...well his head crashed into the side window busting his head wide open. I literally sat there in the back watching it all wondering how I'm here today with only a few broken bones."

The police officer wrote down everything that I was saying as I tried to fight back tears. I watched my mom and dad die right in front of me. Somehow I wasn't feeling anything right now. I just wanted these pain killers to take over my body so I could sleep. I suffered a broken arm, and a few broken ribs. I knew Asha and Kevin would be devastated because they weren't on very good terms with mom and dad.

I drifted off to sleep and dreamt about the last few memories with my parents that I had. My first flashback was to the day we went bowling. My mom couldn't keep the ball out of the gutter to save her life. No matter how she bowled or which hand she bowled with it wasn't good enough. It was at that moment that I realized I would never see my parents again. I felt a tear escape my eye, but almost simultaneously felt a hand wipe them away. I could barely open my eyes to see Asha and Kevin sitting bedside watching me sleep. They were all the family I had left. What was I going to do now?