25

Desmond

I was getting ready for school when my sister walked in my room. She gave me a half smile and inspected my face. It wasn't too bruised so I decided to go to school. We did our handshake and I left before I missed the bus.

It was right at 8 when I arrived so I had enough time to grab breakfast from the cafe. When I walked in the whole room got quiet. Some stared and some whispered obscene comments. I ignored them and went about my business. As I walked out a guy yelled Faggot loud enough for the whole cafeteria to hear. Majority of them laughed along at his ignorance.

The negative comments and embarrassment made me rush out causing me to bump into someone. When I looked up it was the same kid that jumped me yesterday. I let out a deep sigh trying to step around but he blocked me. He sucker punched me in the nose and drug me around the corner to an empty hallway. I screamed and tried to fight them off but it was too many, about six of them.

"Leave him alone" I heard someone say. I looked up through my blurred vision and saw Alex. He was coming to my defense once again. Three of the guys stopped beating on me and approached him. He was outnumbered and losing the fight. I had to do something. He's come to my rescue twice now so I had to repay him. I broke lose from the kid's grip and punched one of the guys in the back of the head. He fell to the ground in pain. Alex got free long enough to throw a punch connecting his fist with the taller kid's jaw. He hit him so hard you could hear it break.

"You're a bitch made nigga. All of y'all. You think you're so tough because you're beating up ONE person?"

All six of them switched from me to Alex. They punched him repeatedly in the head, kicking him in the ribs and legs. He was helpless. I had to do something. I charged at the nearest kid and watched him collapse to the floor. He screamed out in pain which made the other five guys scatter running in different directions. Alex looked up and saw a pool full of blood. It was at the moment that I realized what I had done. I stabbed someone. I never meant for it to go down like this. I was afraid and tired of being beat up.

Alex stood to his feet as fast as he could and told me to run. I grabbed my bag and took off. Alex was close behind me. I could hear the security guy off in the distance screaming for help. "Someone help! Please help! Call 911." I looked back and caught one last glimpse at the scene that was escalating quickly. Students now filled the halls with their phones out taking pictures.

I was afraid of what would happen next, but for now we had to get Alex to a hospital. "Bro we have to get you to a hospital." He stopped mid stride and yelled no. I looked on confused because he was barely walking, basically running off of adrenaline. He pulled out his phone and made a call. "My sister in law is coming to get us."

10 minutes later

Alex's sister in law pulled up with urgency. When she saw how beaten he was she looked at me for answers. My mouth couldn't force words out so I just nodded my head and that was all she needed to know.

"Help me get him in the truck." I tossed my bag in the front seat and helped her pick him up. Just as we got him in and closed the door we heard police sirens nearing. We sped off taking the back way to their apartment. We were in deep shit and it was all my fault. I don't know what I'm going to do.