27

Kevin

My plane had just landed. I rushed off to find my belongings so I could rent a car. I needed to get to the hospital as quick as possible. I prayed the whole flight that Alex was going to make. I lost my parents, I don't need to lose my brother too.

***

When I walked into the hospital I went straight to the help desk. The woman looked at me and rolled her eyes. "What you want?" She said with an attitude. I almost cursed her out until I saw Asha coming off the elevator. I gave her the middle finger and rushed up to her. I must of shaken her up because she jumped. I looked down at her searching for an answer in her eyes. "He's in surgery now." I shook my head and told her to take me to Ary. As soon as I walked into the waiting room Ary ran up to me jumping in my arms. She looked drained like she needed sleep.

"Ary you ok? You don't look too good." She nodded her head yes, but collapsed in my arms. I screamed for a nurse because I didn't know what was wrong. The nurse laid her down on the floor and checked her vitals. A few seconds went by and she came to. This was too much for one day. I felt myself becoming overwhelmed so I sat down. I didn't need to be the next one passing out.

Nurse

"When's the last time you ate?" I asked the young girl. She shrugged her shoulders and rubbed her neck indicating she was thinking. "Um I guess early this morning." I figured her blood sugar had gotten low. I helped her up and sat her in a seat. "I'll be back with a sandwich and drink." She thanked me and laid her head on the guys shoulder. I stood outside the waiting room waiting to see if either of them would say anything.

"Baby you're pregnant. We can't afford for you to not eat right." Once I heard those words I went to get a salad and some water. She needed to stay away from anything with loads of sugar in it. Pregnant women are always at risk for gestational diabetes.

When my intern came back with the salad and water I took it to her and told her to try to eat it all. "You're feeding for two now. Your body needs all the energy it can get." She nodded her head and began to eat. I could tell she was stressed as well. Hopefully they received good news soon so they could stop worrying so much.

***

The doctor walked out with a smile on his face. I took that as a good sign. Ary was stretched out sleep on the waiting room's couch. I stood up and shook the doctor's hand. "Is my brother going to be ok?" He smiled again and shook his head yes. "We repaired his lung as well as his ribs. Has he broken them before?" I thought for a second then remembered the car accident that killed our parents. "Um I can't remember for sure, but I think he has. He was in a car accident a few months back that killed both of our parents." The doctor patted me on the shoulder and told me we could visit him once he woke up. I shook his hand and thanked him.

I sat back down and let out a sigh of relief. As soon as one burden had been lifted off my shoulders another one appeared. Three police officers arrived and put Desmond in handcuffs. I asked them what was going on and they said he was being arrested for attempted murder. I stood up and grabbed him out of their grip.

"He's not going anywhere until his guardian gets here. It also baffles me that he's the one being arrested when he was the one that was assaulted on more than one occasion. He saved my brother's life and for that I thank him. You should be arresting the kids that almost took their life. His face is bruised and swollen to the point where his eye is shut, his lip is busted and he had bruises everywhere." The black police officer nodded his head like he understood but the other two officers who were white rolled their eyes and drew their guns.

"He's coming with us. Either he willingly goes or we'll drag his ass out."

By now I was pissed off and anger was taking over my body. "Desmond unlock and give me your phone." He did as I said and I took a picture of the two holding their guns at me. "I hope you know I'm filing a complaint against your asses. You better not hurt him in any kind of way." The two white officers laughed as they drug him out of the hospital.

As soon as they pulled off I called his sister. She answered on the second ring.

"Hey this is Kevin, Alex's older brother. I have Desmond's phone. Police came and arrested him for attempted murder. Meet my fiancé at the police station now!"

She said ok and quickly hung up. I shook Ary to wake her up. She jumped up looking like she was in shock. "I need you to meet Desmond's sister at the police station. They arrested him for attempted murder."

Her facial expression changed from concerned to worried as hell. I could see tears forming in her eyes as I explained to her the situation. I wiped them away and handed her Desmond's phone. She grabbed her keys and ran out of the hospital.

Sonja

I walked into the police station, the same one that I worked at

I walked into the police station, the same one that I worked at. I went straight to the interrogation rooms and searched until I found Desmond. They were interrogating him without a lawyer or guardian present. I burst through the door causing all three of them to turn their heads.

"You're breaking all kinds of laws interrogating a minor without a lawyer or guardian present. Desmond get up" i instructed. He stood to his feet but Brian the taller, but fatter officer shoved him back in the chair. I lost my entire mind.

"Put another hand on him and your days as an officer will be over. Desmond get up" I said once more staring Brian's fat ass down. Desmond ran over and stood behind me.

"Sonja they didn't read me my rights either."

I knew Desmond lied from time to time but he would never lie about this. I grabbed him by the wrist and walked out the room. As we were walking from the back a pretty brown skin woman was walking in. "Sis that's Ary, Alex's sister." I approached her as calmly as possible. She looked scared and worried.

"Desmond are you ok?" She asked rubbing her hand across his face. "Your eye is getting worse. You really need to get back to the hospital."

I looked down and his face. His eye was swollen shut, it was discolored and felt hot to the touch. I sent him back to the hospital with Ary while I handled the situation with Brian and Bob. They denied every allegation that was brought against them. I was their superior and made sure that they weren't going to get away with this.

Our mom was killed by a drunk driver when I was  26 and Desmond was 3. My parents adopted him when he was 2 months old. They took him in like he was their own and i loved him like he was my blood. Our father passed away from natural causes five years ago. Desmond was a complete mess. For a year he was depressed and didn't engage in any kind of interaction with kids his age. He alienated himself from everyone including me. I promised both mom and dad that I would take care of him so that's what I'm doing, looking out for my own.