Chapter 8

We sat in the kitchen for half an hour. He was surfing his iPhone and I was adjusting the blanket every once in a while. Because I still had the mind link closed, I was able to think in private. Then an idea came to me during this privacy.

"Where is your bathroom?" I asked softly, turning my head an inch towards Crone. He waved a hand towards the hall. "First door on the right." Silently, I stood and made my way to the bathroom, my head down. Once inside, I closed the door and locked it quietly.

Dropping the blanket, I went and did my business in the toilet. Although, as it was flushing, I hurriedly yanked the window open. I can fit through this... My wolf and I assessed the small opening. I decided to let her give it a try, and she took over. I turned into my black wolf.

We'll have to do a running start. I told her, since there was a net on the window. She backed up until her butt touched the door. Crouching, she gathered her strength into her hind legs for a faster start. Like a bullet, we raced across the small room and jumped, crashing through the net. I heard Crone jump from his seat.

Too late, Alpha. I chuckled, going full speed towards the border. I had to slam my butt down to get a quick stop as I saw the beta and a few other males hanging out next to the border. They hadn't seen or heard me yet, so I crouched low in the shadows. As I made my way around them, I hadn't seen the small group of birds until it was too late.

The birds took off at once, letting out calls of alarm. The beta's head snapped over to my direction, his eyes searching. "Who goes there?" he called; the other wolves grew silent. I stood up. Hello, Beta. I linked to him, but keeping the rest of my mind closed off. He noticed this and narrowed his eyes. 

"Where do you think you're going?" he asked slowly. I tilted my head in innocence. "Home. Where else would I be going?" I smiled as close to whatever a wolf could smile. His eyes narrowed more, and he thought for a moment. "I'm asking Crone about this." he finally said, shattering all of my hopes.

No need. I'm already here. Crone's voice sounded through my head. I heard rustling behind me, and I automatically dropped down onto my belly. I turned to look at Crone with wide eyes. At the site of his wolf, I gasped slightly. He was black as well, and only an inch taller than my wolf. He looked down at me with blank, golden yellow eyes.

I tried to slowly creep backwards to the border, but he took an intimidating step towards me, closing the distance between us. Trying to escape, are you, Omega? he asked with slight amusement. His tone of voice made me growl and stand up to my full height. 

Escape? Not so much. Although, your beta here did take me to your stupid cages for just sleeping on the edge of your territory. I snapped at him. He growled as well. I felt my ears go back and my shoulder fur bristle. After another couple seconds of us growling at each other, I lept at him.

I went onto my hind paws as he did, and placed my front paws on his shoulders. Biting his muzzle, I shook my head back and forth. I heard the beta and the group stiffen, but they didn't move towards us. I have a feeling it was because they wanted to see who would win.

Crone was taken aback for a moment, but he faced my movements equally. What felt like minutes of snarling and biting, was probably only a couple of seconds, and he threw me down. Returning to all fours, he snarled next to my ear as I lay panting in the dirt.

Submit, Omega! You are not fit to fight an alpha. he snarled. I whimpered, not looking at his eyes. I had bitten my mate. Yes, he had rejected me, bit I shouldn't have bitten my mate! I closed my eyes as I whimpered again. Crone took a step back and snorted. Get up. he ordered gruffly.

Heaving myself up, I stood low beside him. Without another word, he turned back towards his cabin and started to walk. I followed silently, gazing at the forest beyond his borders with longing. Another whimper escaped from my throat, making Crone glance at me.

As we walked, I stayed low, making myself only reach his belly. We stayed silent, but I could feel his anger flow off his pelt in waves. Finally, we made it back to his house. Lucky for us, he had left his door open. He stopped beside it, growling at me. I scurried inside, tail between my legs. I carried on and sat behind the couch's arm rest, hidden from his view.

I watched as he went down the hallway and up some stairs that I hadn't seen yet. A couple minutes later, he returned with shorts on. Just shorts. I tried not to look at his toned stomach and chest for too long, but he caught me staring. I quickly looked away.

Crone sat on the couch, rather smug. I snorted and rolled my eyes. "What did I tell you about rolling your eyes?" he snarled, making me try to push myself into the corner. I whimpered. Sighing, he looked away from me and shook his head.

While we sat there, I started thinking again. I remembered my birthday with Barbie. She had taken me out shopping, and then out to eat. As I thought back on it even more, I realized something, which made my eyes widen.

Alpha... I started. He turned to me with those blank eyes. I stared at the floor as I said the next sentence. I'm going into heat either tomorrow or the day afterwards... I heard him take in a deep breath as he thought about this. "Well..." he began, still thinking of what to say. "Well, then I guess I'll have to lock you up in here for the next week." he sighed. 

I nodded, and curled up. The day had been long and tiring. I just wanted to escape to my dreams and get it over with.