Chapter 22

Almost another month had passed since our big game of chase. Crone and I had gotten Dr. Allard to check on our pups. As she examined them with the ultrasound, she studied the screen carefully. "Well," she began, making Crone sit up worriedly. He had shifted back and put on his jeans and blue T-shirt. "They all seem very alive and very healthy." she finished. I sighed with relief and flopped my head back down on the couch.

"Would you like a list of names?" she asked. I shook my head. No, I already have some picked out. I told her. Crone looked at me curiously. The doctor nodded and started to pack up. "They should be coming in a month or so." she said and walked out. Crone turned his head to arch a brow at me. "You have names already?" he asked. I shrugged. Just a few. I don't want to use names someone else picked out.

Crone nodded in understanding. "Well what are they?" he pressed. Sighing, I gave him my mother and father's name. Do you want to name one after your father? I offered. He gave me a one sided grin. "Yes, and I think those are good names." he answered, looking like he was the happiest wolf in the world. I sighed and rolled my eyes in amusement. Well, I'm going to take a nap. Try not to get into too much trouble. I said and Crone scoffed at the thought.

Four weeks later, I was giving out rounds to the Enforcers with Jasper. Right as I finished up and stood up off the grass, pain wracked through my stomach. As I called out, Jasper and Crone were by my side instantly. "What's going on?" Crone asked while I lay on my side, whimpering. "She's going into labor." Jasper answered. He was already calling the pack doctor. Crone had my head on his lap.

Another contraction went through me and I howled in pain. "You're moving along a lot quicker than usual..." Jasper muttered, setting his hands on my stomach. "It's because we're both alphas." Crone said. "It's a defense mechanism. It's so enemies will have a smaller chance to get her at a weaker stage." I looked up at him. How did he know so much? I was never taught this stuff.

"Okay, Alpha, I'm here." I heard Allard's breathless voice say near my rear end. I whimpered in acknowledgement. "You're almost ready to start pushing." she said after examining beneath my tail. She handed Jasper towels and a blanket, and he laid the latter out over the grass by my stomach. The doctor pulled on some gloves while Jasper held a towel at ready.

"Licking your mate will help relieve some of the pain." Dr. Allard informed as she checked on me again. Crone's fingers twitched in the fur on my head, and he placed his arm in front of my nose, hairless side up. "Alright, when the next contraction comes, you need to start pushing." she told me, just as I felt my stomach clench again. Pinning my ears back and squeezing my eyes shut, I did as I was told.

A few seconds of pushing went by, and I heard high pitched whining and yelps. I opened my eyes to see Jasper holding a little bundle of fur in the towel. He rubbed some of the birth liquid off and set it by my tummy so it could feed. "A boy." Crone said, keeping his eyes on the pup. I widened my eyes, then shut them in concentration as I pushed some more. This one took a bit longer to get out.

"Another boy." Jasper told me, and I kept pushing. I wanted to see my pups. I wanted to see their little ears and paws. When Allard told me to take a little break, I was panting and had to start licking Crone's arm. It tasted really sweet, like rock candy. So far the pups had black fur like their parents, but one had a white spot on its chest and the other had a white tailtip. I gazed down at the two pups in awe. I had made these little creatures, and I had brought life into the world.

My joy was short lived, because I had to start pushing again. "Oh, two at once." Allard giggled. I heard Jasper wipe them down quickly before setting them with their siblings. "Look." Crone breathed. I opened my eyes to see two light colored pups. One was white with gray on the top of its head, and the other was a smokey gray with a white stripe down its belly. It was just like Maka, and the white one was like my mother.

"The white one is the girl." Allard said, then reminded me to keep pushing. Just looking at my pups gave me strength, and Crone was helping keep the pain at bay. I heaved and pushed as much as I could. Another pup slid out into the doctor's hands. The other four pups weren't phased by its squealing. "Another boy." Crone said above me, stroking my fur. I opened an eye to get a look at it. All black, too, with gray fur tips.

"Only one more." Crone encouraged. I nodded and put my last bit of strength into getting my little pup out. At last, I heard faint whimpers. "This one is the runt." Allard told me. I was finally able to sit up and see them fully. I looked at the white chest. Dean. After my father. Then the white tail. Jonathan. For Crone's father. Then my little girl. Elle. Like my mother. Maka. I said to the look alike. I ignored Crone's annoyance and went on to the gray and black one. Damian.

I gazed down at the runt. His name I was stuck on. Around me, the pack had gathered to watch. They were silent as they waited for me to name my smallest pup. I'll make sure he's the strongest. I was the runt of my stillborn siblings, and yet here I am. I'll give him a powerful name so he can grow big and fearless. I stated and turned to my beta. Will you please open one of his eyes? He nodded and did as he was told.

My nameless pup squirmed in Jasper's hands as his eye was gently pried open. A golden eye peered back at Jasper with anger. The little pup let out a cute growl, and I smiled mentally. I'm naming him after his father. He can be called CJ for short. Jasper grinned at his best friend and handed him his pup. Crone took CJ tentatively and held him close. "Nice name you picked out." Crone said, winking at me.

Another month passed since my pups were born. They were either in the crib in my room or in the crib in the living room. Crone could hardly stay away from them. I sat in my human form on the couch, typing up the week's rounds for the Enforcers. Crone was next to me with CJ is his arms and the other pups climbing around on him or running on the floor. When they're pups, they grow like a normal wolf for nine months, then shift into their human forms. They look about 5 as humans. Once they turn 13, they shift back. That's the only shift they remember, so everyone just calls it their first shift.

I sigh and close my laptop, finished with the times. I watch the pups, who are almost two feet tall. CJ snarled and nipped at anyone who got too close to his back paws and tail. "Let him down." I told Crone. He glanced at me curiously, then seemed to understand why. He set the males down on the floor and picked Elle up. CJ instantly went after his eldest brother, Dean. The two scuffled for a minute before CJ overtook Dean.

"Your plan certainly worked." Crone said as we pulled the two apart. I nodded. "Dean can take care of my father's pack. Oh, that reminds me..." I trailed off. Jasper, we need to start planning the pack party. Make sure to invite Dean Wizat's pack, too. I tell him. Jasper agreed instantly, and said he would get the omegas to start planning it. A few moments later, Crone sighed.

"You know why I'm leaving." he grumbled as he set Elle and CJ aside to stand. I sighed and shook my head in amusement. "You're always able to challenge someone." I informed him. He paused at the door. "Right." he murmured before walking out. I shrugged and sat down on the floor. Maka came running up to me and started tugging on my shoe laces. "You're just like your uncle." I chuckled.

Alpha, Maka is here. He says it's urgent. Jasper spoke in my head. I frowned. Bring him in. Make sure Hurricane isn't around. I ordered. Of course. he replied. I stood and started to tidy up a bit. As I set my laptop on the night stand that sat by the window, I saw a brown wolf and a black wolf in the middle of a scuffle. Quickly, I ran out angrily. "What is going on here?" I snapped. A pup ran up to me and hid behind my leg. "Crone challenged Daddy."