Chapter 21

The pack doctor was female, and is named Dr. Allard. Dr. Allard had a travel sized ultrasound kit in her hand. She shut the door behind her softly and walked over to my side. "Hello, Alpha." she greeted, and introduced herself. "I will have to shave a strip on the side of your belly to see the pups." she informed. I nodded, and she pulled out an electric razor. She gently shaved away my fur in a line, then gelled it up.

Noticing my wince, she smiled apologetically. "It's a little cold, sorry." she said, then pulled out a wand that was connected to the screen on the metal box. "This is where you'll see them." She pointed at the screen after she turned it on. Then, Allard gently yet firmly placed the end of the wand onto my bare skin and moved it around slowly. She stared intently at the screen, then lit up and quickly pressed a button.

She turned the box towards me with a grin. "Here they are. Looks like six, and they're all in healthy... oh." she said and frowned. Crone's had snapped up from looked down at the couch's armrest to glare at the doctor. "What do you mean, oh?" he asked worriedly. I gave him a warning glance. Omegas do not behave like that. "It looks like you have a runt. You'll have to give him separate feedings.

"But, you have five males and a female. The runt is a male." she hurried on. I nodded slowly, gazing at the screen. Yes, you could make out five little boys and a girl. One of them was smaller than the others. The doctor pressed another button, and gears could be heard. Behind the box, she pulled out a small paper, then another. She set one on the couch beside me, and handed the other to Crone. "A picture." she explained, then stood.

"I'll be off, then, Alpha, unless you need anything else?" she asked. I nodded distractedly, memorizing the picture in front of me. Five boys. And a girl. Crone is probably relieved. I look over at him, and he's looking at his own copy. I can see a hint of a smile on his face. I don't think I'd ever seem him smile while I was here a month ago. He looked at the picture another couple of seconds, then pulled his wallet out and slipped it into a slot.

"Are you hungry?" he asked tentatively after a few minutes of silence. I nod, looking at him with narrowed eyes. He gets up and walks off into the kitchen. I hear him open the freezer, pull something out, and toss it into the microwave. A few minutes later, and it goes off. He returns with some meat in a bowl and he scratches the back of his head nervously. With uncertainty, he sets the bowl down a few feet away and goes back to the couch.

I slid off the couch and onto my paws and pad tiredly over to the bowl and begin to eat. He was trying, at least, even though omegas are compelled to help out the alpha and beta. I begin to wonder how many people are going to seek revenge on him for mistreating them while he was the alpha. I push that thought down and focus on my food. It was a little freezer burnt, but it was food nevertheless.

Another month passed since I became the alpha. Hurricane Pack was oddly silent. It worried Jasper and I. We sat on the front porch of my house and watched the wolves hang out in the clearing around it. It was a nice day; the upcoming fall weather was already cooling down the hot days. A small breeze was lifting my fur up and brought new scents for me to sniff in the air.

"It's the new omega." I heard a male sneer. Opening my eyes, I spotted Crone strolling to the group of omegas. Figures that he had to pass by the other wolves. I realized that it was one of my Enforcers that spoke up. "This is probably going to get messy." Jasper murmured beside me. I nodded in agreement and sat up to watch the Enforcer and two of his buddies approach the hesitant Crone.

The Enforcer, Doug, clapped Crone on the back of the neck. He probably squeezed it tightly, because Crone cringed and tried to shrug it off. Doug growled at that and shoved Crone onto the ground. "Do as you're told, Omega!" Doug snarled loudly, his friends shouting in agreement. Crone quickly shifted and tucked his tail in, backing away from the group of attackers.

Doug and his cronies quickly kicked his sides. One even shifted and dug her teeth into his shoulder and shook her head. Crone yelped and pulled away, leaving a patch of fur in her mouth. "This is getting out of hand..." Jasper pointed out. I stood and stalked over to the group, who was pummeling the fallen Crone to a pulp. I could hear his wheezing all the way from the porch. Enough! I ordered with a snarl.

Instead of listening to me, the group continued on with beating up Crone. This pissed me off like no other. I swiftly leapt in and bit into the female's rear and dragged her onto the ground. When I snarled in her face, she shrank back and submitted. I turned to the other male and jumped on him, sinking my teeth into his face. He fell back with a shout of pain and landed on his back on the grass.

By then, Doug was trying to slowly step away, out of my sight. But he was too slow. You dare defy a direct order from your alpha? Should I make you all join Crone as an omega so you can learn how to obey orders like pups? I shouted at him. He turned to run, but Jasper blocked him, his arms crossed. Doug looked at me with fear, then determination. "You're just being biased 'cause he's your mate."

At his words, I tackled Doug to the ground and gripped his shoulder tightly in my mouth. I do not permit murder in my pack! I snapped, then began to shake his body back and forth harshly. Do you want to repeat that, or do you change your mind? He went limp and whimpered, showing his submission to his alpha. I let go and turned to the gathered wolves. Omegas are here to relieve the stress of the pack, not to be punching bags. A shove here or there is fine, but if you harm them, you will have me to face.

The pack nodded and quickly dispersed. I went over to the healing Crone and prodded him with a paw. Come on. I told him and padded over to the picnic table that the omegas sat at. They greeted me with broad smiles. "Good afternoon, Tilly." one female greeted me. I wagged my tail at her. Hello. Has anyone been bothering you? I asked, and they all shook their heads. "Their attention had been on Crone."

Crone, who had slumped down under the shade of the table, looked at me grumpily. Well, if you could all start a game of chase, it might help relieve some tension. I said. It wasn't quite an order, but it wasn't a question either. The omegas nodded again and stood up. Some went into the woods to change out of their clothes and shift. Others were already wolves. They trotted over to some other wolves and ran around in circles, cheering.

Might as well join in on the fun. I thought, and started to follow their lead. One omega started to chase me, and I took off over the grass with a few wolves coming after me. Laughing in my mind, I circled around my house and zigzagged across the clearing. I noticed Crone watching from the sidelines, and turned and ran towards him. You better start running, grumpy pants! I told him, and the omegas gave a battle cry and followed my lead.

Crone's look was priceless. His eyes widened and he popped up onto his paws. Hey, that isn't fair! he shouted at us, but we were closing in fast. He turned tail and shot out from under the other side of the table. We're gonna get you, Crone! a pup giggled beside me. Crone leapt into the trees, the pack of omegas and I practically on his tail. He wasn't running at his full speed, so he was obviously enjoying the chase.

Eventually, we got him in a smaller clearing. The omegas cheered for a moment, then gathered back up and went back to the main clearing. I sat down, panting, and Crone came up beside me. Are you sure that didn't do anything to the pups? he asked, poking my stomach with his nose. I rolled my eyes. They're tough, so they're fine. I answered. They're gonna be still borns anyways... I sighed sadly.

Letting out a bark of surprise, Crone stood in front of me. What?! he asked in shock. It runs in my family. It's only the females of the family who produce still borns. Only one from the first litter survives. I admitted, looking down at my paws. Crone stepped forward and licked my forehead. Maybe you should have the pack doctor check to see... Y'know, just in case. he suggested. I nodded. Alright, let's go, then.