A Dangerous Affair

Abigail
03 January 2015

It's unfortunate that I remember the moment I met Elizabeth so clearly. Like Egyptian relief, the memory is etched deeply, as if she took a chisel to my brain and imprinted herself eternally.

One moment, I was minding my own business -content, and then she just waltzed in and stuck around like a bad high.

I couldn't quit her. The moment states attorney Elizabeth Masey sat on my mother's mahogany dining table like she owned the place was the moment I became her addict.

I was 24, four years ago. The perfect puppet for my politically ambitious parents. My father had this misguided notion that he would climb his way into the capitol - but so far, he was only stuck in a mayor race.

Fortunately - or unfortunately depending on which side of politics you're on - a year later he'd miraculously managed to secure a win in that race and had successfully managed to make it to governor of New Hampshire.

She'd sat at that dinner table commanding, engaging and looked like the world would wield to her desires. I was enthralled. She'd captivated me so completely that notjing else mattered.

I think she felt it too. Although, I couldn't quiet rightfully say. Elizabeth's mask was and will forever be impenetrable.

An admirable quality when you're a ball busting prosecuting attorney but a damned infuriating trait to have in a lover - as I'd come to find out.

But still, there was just something about the way she'd made me feel like the only one that mattered when she'd ask for the salt or the way her lips tilted into a curious smile when I'd answered a question in a way that had her impressed.

Everything she did. Made my want for her that much more.

"Do you have to go?" I asked her as she put on her bra, my eyes raking over her sparsely freckled back. I'd noticed a minute blackhead on her right shoulder earlier - that was new.

"Yeah. I promised Brian I'd meet with Hawthorne about the Wheelan bill. Damn woman's a workaholic she only had breakfast available." She answered whilst fastening the last button on her crumpled silk shirt.

I was mesmerised by her legs, dreading the skirt that she picked up from the floor to dress herself with.

But I'm not too disappointed. The thing about Liz was that she looked good even when she was unkempt.

Her dark hair, so clearly unbrushed, framed her jaw and stuck out on her left.

"Don't look at me like that." She pulled me out of my thoughts, walking over to me and placing a kiss on my forehead.

"Like what?"

"Like I'm breakfast." She smirked.

I couldn't help the lazy smile that crept over my face. It wasn't what I was thinking about, but well, with the idea being there - it didn't hurt to try.

"Well, you could be." I said, lazily grabbing her collar and pulling her over my sleeping form. "I mean...do you really. have. to. go?"

Each word punctuated by a kiss on her lips. The last one deeper than all of them.

"Mmmmm," she moaned in protest. "I really have to go."

"Aaargh, fine." I conceded defeat, groaned, and pushed her away. I knew Liz didn't mix business with pleasure. She didn't crave me as I craved her. To her, we could probably schedule another tryst later, whereas Hawthorne couldn't wait.

"Let me walk you out." I said, swinging my legs over the rumpled grey duvet.

"You don't have to walk me out."

My glare is icy in disbelief.

"Christ Liz. I don't pay you by the hour. This is the kind of relationship where I walk you out."

With Liz, her reasons could have been merely for practicality. She wasn't the type to get sentimental over the little things. She may have not meant any offense by it, but still: if she wasn't going to uphold the romance in this...whatever this was, then I certainly would.

Her shoulders shrug as she stands on her perfectly sensible heels.

"I just thought you'd want to sleep in, that's all."

"No, I wanna walk you out." I sigh, running a hand through my brunette hair.

"I think it's what mistresses do."

"Ab," she turned with a frown, buttoning her navy blazer. "You're not my m..."

"I know." I cut her off with a kiss. "Girlfriends do it too, but I'm not that either so...lesser of two evils, I suppose." I shrug away from her to put on my robe.

The concerned frown never leaves her face as she stares at me. I know she won't address it. It's too much for her right now.

It always is.

I don't even know why I brought it up. I suppose just to get a reaction out of her. A part of me hopes she does. A part of me wishes she'd forget about work or technicalities and just speak to me as if I mattered to her as much as everything else in her life.

Instead, she says: "Well atleast no-ones calling you a hooker?"

"Who called you a hooker?"

"You. Just now. You don't pay me by the hour." Liz says, raising her eyebrows to show she was teasing.

Avoidance - typical. I know she's diverting the attention. I know that she knows that I know - and so I ignore it. It's not worth it anyway.

Liz is here. We had great sex, and she's taken the time to see me out of her busy schedule - that's all that matters

"I should. You're good at what you do."

"Really, Miss Mitchell, are you soliciting me?" Liz turned at the door with a smirk.

"Soliciting is what I did last night, and you gave it up for free. Honestly Liz, you shouldn't be such a cheap lay."

A deep honey soaked chuckle left her throat through a closed smile.

"I'll see you later." She says, kissing me on the lips. Turning to the door, closes it and simply leaves. Gone.

No fanfare. No, I love you's. No lingering: she was just gone.

To be honest, I didn't need all of that. I was perfectly happy with our relationship as it was. I didn't need the 'I love you's' or the fawny messages and poetry.

It's just sometimes... just sometimes, I wished she'd linger longer. Extend a kiss instead of a peck on the cheek. Hold my fingers for a second longer.

Anything to let me know that she'd miss me as much as I'd miss her.

God, it was crazy how much I missed her presence. For someone who I only saw about once or twice a month. Liz's presence in my space was dominating.

She filled all the noise and silences in my life, and when she wasn't here, I was incomplete.

Shit.

I thought to myself as I lay my head on the door. I'm in so deep.