2

Elizabeth
03 January 2015

The drive to my townhouse was quiet. I watched the city scenery in contemplative silence. I loved this time of the year.

The last dredges of the holiday spirit were finally melting away and the winter was making its final show of defiance before making way for the new year.

The delicious wet smell of snow and the harsh nose chilling winds were a symbol of continuation.

The new year had begun and work would start afresh. New cases to prosecute, a city to clean up - God I loved it. I thrived on my job and the politics of this place.

Yet the anticipation of resuming work didn't take away the hollow void that I now felt as I drove away from the brown bricked building.

I hated leaving Abigail's apartment. It was always so hard to pull myself away from her. There were moments when I'd wake up with her draped over me, breathing heavy with sleep, and I'd contemplate calling in sick and just staying in with her. It was tempting - God was she tempting - but a relationship like ours wasn't one for sleeping in.

I can't remember how many times I've had to sneak out at the crack of dawn to avoid bumping into the runner in apartment 4B.
I'd developed a strategy for leaving the apartment. Get my fill of her those few moments while I watched her sleep and then once I'd gotten up and out of bed it'd be it. Get up and leave. No turning back, no lingering. Just like ripping off a band aid.

Everything in my life was well thought out and logically reasoned and planned out to the last T. Everything - except for Abigail Mitchell.

She was way younger than me, the daughter of my colleague and had more passion than reason and a serious danger to my career. After all I've never heard of a states attorney with a younger lesbian lover.

She was all these things and yet there I was with bed hair and rumpled clothing driving away from her apartment at 4 o clock in the morning yet again. Perhaps she was my midlife crisis. Honestly I didn't know what I was doing with her - it made absolutely no political sense. But, and this has to be the worst defense in history, when it came to Abigail Mitchell I just couldn't help myself.

The meeting with Hawthorne was really a thorn in the democratic side. Hawthorne was digging her heels in on the Wheelan bill and refusing to endorse it to the black association.

The bill had been in debate for the better half of his term and as it neared the end of his time Wheelan wanted to see it to fruition as a mark of his legacy.

The bill would allow for all high school graduates to qualify for 1 year free education and no fee increases for the majority of 6 years and at only increments of 0.5% increase maximum. The bill was a load of crock that would mess up the entire elite school's finance and intake.

Free education for all, it's what he ran on. It's what Andrew Wheelan really believed in. The public saw him as a morally upstanding boy scout and to be honest, he was. Wheelan' s heart was in the right place which is what made him so easy to manipulate.

Personally, I thought he was a naive idiot who had no idea of the background wheelings and dealings that occured during his term. But my views on the sitting president were neither here nor there. The party asked me for a favour and I was simply delivering on it.

Hawthorne had Orion Sable and the black association in her back pocket and if she didn't say jump they wouldn't go high. I was supposed to convince her that it was in everybody's best interest to vote yes for the bill.

Outside of being states attorney my real skillset lay in trading favours. See at the tender age of 12, I'd learnt the most valuable lesson that my non-emotionally available judge of a father ever taught me: secrets, information and favours are the real money of life.

You could shut a pregnant mistress up for a couple of months with a payoff but what happens when the money runs out. My father found that lesson out the hard way.

Money can only get you so far but loyalty from gratitude and fear from blackmail will last a lifetime. Now more than ever, as SA during one of the most corrupt cabinets to have been in office, that statement had never been more true - and I'd racked up a considerable number of favour debt amongst my peers.