The curious case of Miss Kristen Wyland: the Good Samaritan

01 September 2016

Kristen again sat at her desk to research world record holders within a five mile radius.

Except this time her browser was minimised as a cover for what she was really doing.

For the past two days the young reporter thought she had finally received the break she deserved in life.

The email she received was the answer to her miserable existence.

A simple heading of: A Good Samaritan and a web link.

Her reply to the email was useless. The fake account of abcdefghij@gmail.com bounced back when she'd tried to contact her source.

Clearly the good Samaritan's job was done.

The link though, was one hell of a gold mine of a voice recording.

Two hours of scintillating listening - filled with mystery, sex and scandal.

When she'd slotted in her earphones and listened to the first 15 minutes Kristen couldn't believe what she was hearing.

The prominent states attorneys name whispered in the first minutes of the recording was enough to make it a front page news story.

But Kristen knew there had to be more.

Why would someone send this to her and not publish it themselves. Miserable as she was at her job, she couldn't not question this random good fortune.

See Kristen, despite all her bad luck, was a good journalist.

Her instincts told her that the good Samaritan didn't just want her to publish this story, if they wanted that, then they would've just sent it to the newsroom.

No, her good Samaritan wanted her to uncover the story.

There was more to it than just a scintillating sex tape of states attorney Elizabeth Masey, daughter of Justice Paul Masey.

"Sheriff." A sweet angelic voice greeted flirtatiously.

There was an extended silence on the other side. The static creating tension in an otherwise silence filled earphone.

"I don't know what I'm doing here." A honeyed timbre admitted.

The people on the tape were not much for words. Seconds passed before any sound beyond silent walls could be heard.

"Liz," The angelic melody replied lowly. It sounded like a light and slow padding of feet on wood. "You don't need a reason to be here."

One didn't need journalistic intuition to figure out what was happening next. It was the moment the reporter discovered that listening to people having sex was way different than watching it.

It was more intense.

Private.

More intimate.

Shallow breathing permeated like a whisper of wind in her eardrums. The caressing sounds of heavy breathing punctuated by the languid pressure of a deep kiss.

It was a disturbing sound, the paced and measured slurping of a slow kiss.

Judging from the quiet moan of one of the voices, it was a good one.

The dancing shuck and shuffle of a garment being slid off filled the volume of the speakers.

An inaudible and halfhearted protest escaped from the deep timbred voice

"Elizabeth Masey, shut up and fuck me."

Kristen's breath hitched along with the couple's and the contents of the next hour became embarrassingly evident in the growing wetness of the reporters underwear.

She should've fast forwarded it, really there was no reason to continue listening at this particular part but she sat engrossed, invading the couple's privacy, aroused.

Kristen had to find out who the other woman on that tape was.

And to think, Kristen almost put the email in her trash.

The rest of the recording was a marathon of heavy breathing, giggling, moaning, and surprisingly conversation.

Then a long stretch of 30 minute silence as it seemed the occupants of the tape fell asleep.

Kristen stayed and listened to the whole two hours of it. She stayed even when it abruptly cut shortly as it seemed like the states attorney was going to leave mystery woman's house.

"Do you have to go?" One of the occupants' voice is muffled. Almost busy with something on the floor.

"Yeah. I promised Brian I'd meet with Hawthorne about the Wheelan bill. Damn woman's a workaholic she only had breakfast available."

A zip whizzes feintly across the earphone. Clearly, the attorney us getting dressed.

"Don't look at me like that." The padding of feet.

"Like what?"

"Like I'm breakfast." Despite herself, Kristen smiles at the comment.

"Well you could..."

Kristen's daytime listening is cut abruptly but she'd heard all she needed.