Some damn reporter

Elizabeth
15 September - 23:36pm

Blip blip.

***

Blip blip.

***

Blip blip.

The annoying blip of my S7 company phone drags me from the depths of sleep.

A heavy five fingered limb is draped across me waist. Through the night, Abby has managed to curl up beside me and use my body as a human pillow. I'm not complaining.

The vibrations of the phone stop and I debate whether to retrieve it and check the sender. It's pretty late in the evening - it could be important.

Blip blip.

My decision is made for me as the caller persists.

I unwillingly extricate myself from my octopus.

"Masey." I answer.

"States attorney Masey?" A young femake voice redundantly asks

"Who is this?"

"I'm a reporter from the Rapporteur. We're online newspaper coveri..."

"Look miss...?"

"Wyland."

"I don't know who you are but you must be a very good reporter to have managed to get my work cell number. Now I don't know what fly by journalism they're doing at the Rapporteur but where I'm from, a work phone usually means call during work hours. Do you know what the time is to be calling me for an interview!?"

My ire from this newbie has risen and I'm shout whispering to avoid waking my peacefully sleeping girlfriend.

"I've called your office twice for 2 weeks at your office and the whole day today Miss Massey and I really think you'll be interested in my story."

"I highly doubt that Miss Wyland but its twelve in the morning and I'm up already so I'll bite. What could I possibly be so interested in?"

"Well, I thought maybe we could meet and sit down. It's sensitive." The mousy voice responds.

"Well now you're just wasting my time Miss Wyland. Might I suggest that you lose my number before I slap you with a harassment suit so far into next week you'll be..."

"It's about dating power plays politics." She interrupts me. "How older men can date younger women as a sign of power, but what about older women!" She got out in a rush.

My heartbeat picked up as I sensed an inkling of where this was going.

But she couldn't know. Nobody knew. We were discreet.

Weren't we?

"There doesn't seem to be a story there Miss Wyland. My advice, stick to the election, vote Democrat."

"But Mam..."

"Goodbye Miss Wyland."

On my way back to the bed my heart would not stop hammering.

This would be the last thing I need. Maybe it's just a coincidence.

Abigail's groan stalls me from my thoughts. Her fingers snuggle in between my thighs as her face inched closer to my back.

"Z' that work?" Her sleep induced raspy voice asks.

"Nah, just some damn reporter." I respond and fall gently to sleep