The curious case of Kristen Wyland: Choice

The tension in the room rocketed as Eleanor and William swallowed their pretences.

It was in Eleanor's viper-like head adjustment though that Kristen knew that she was in way over her head here.

"Alright then," the governor's wife breathed out dangerously.

"Here's what's going to happen," she began.

However, Eleanor Mitchell's opinion was cut off with a pointed throat clearing from her husband.

William sat almost as if trying to anchor himself by balancing the tips of his fingers in an incomplete praying hands position.

"I think, what my wife was going to say, is how can we make this go away?"

The mousy haired, parka wearing reporter blinked in confusion.

"Make it, go away." Her head swivelled looking at the occupants of the room.

"I'm sorry sir...I think you have the wrong idea here. See when you called you said..?'

"Yes I'm aware of what I said you silly girl." Eleanor interrupts, rudely dismissing her with an eye roll.

"You couldn't possibly be foolish enough to think we'd just hand the presidency over to you on a silver platter."

Kristen was soon realising that Eleanor Mitchell was not a nice woman.

The women's voice had dropped to a biting alto as she bared her fangs.

"So?" the Southern belle turned bull impatiently prompted.

"How much it will cost to make it go away?"

The stammering of a young introverted bullying victim escaped from Kristen. "I...I don't want your money Mrs Mitchell."

"Well what do you want then dear!?" Eleanor huffed in annoyance. Dragging her eyes to the ceiling.

The privileged WASP was unaccustomed to slow dim-witted conversation. When she spoke people listened, when she commanded people moved.

In a sense, politics was simple in that way. The exchanges were transparent.
Manipulation for Eleanor was easy. This, this inconvenience on her sofa was just wasting her time.

"I mean, it doesn't have to be money Miss Wyland." William interjects.

"You have dreams right? Goals? Goals that you can easily achieve with the right people by your side."

Clearly the Governor had gone into presidential mode. Kristen could see how millions of people could be pulled into following his vision.

His smile was lopsided and charming - almost sincere.

The greying patch of a cow's lick, slicked into his boy cut made him look wise.

He was a sturdy looking man: stable.

But he was also hiding a secret.

A secret that could make Kristen's failing career.

"I'm sorry Mr and Mrs Mitchell. But I'm not here to swap favours. I'm printing this story whether or not you think..."

Kristen never finishes her sentence as a guttural groan echoed from the until then silent fourth member of the room.

"Stop fucking coddling her!" Andy screamed with a sweaty top lip and his pudgy hands furiously rubbing his forehead.

"What do you think you are playing at you little rat faced nobody! You are talking to the next God damn fucking president of this country!"

The campaign manager was frothing at the mouth. "Let that sink in!"

He said walking over to the reporter and standing imposing over her smaller form.

His hair was reeking insanity and desperation.

"Yeah let that fucking sink in mousy." He whispered in her face.

"Let that sink in and tell me you want to let the worlds cleanest; most legitimate candidate - that we've ever had - lose the election because of some two bit lesbian sex scandal that you want to publish!"

The sweat on Andy's lip was visibly shaking along with his beady eyes.

"I mean..." He stops, clapping his hands together once and erratically walking away from, then back to Kristen.

"Fuuuuuuck!" He shouts in her face.

"Andy, calm yourself!" William commands.

The room is once again drenched in tense silence as everyone gathers their breathe in disbelief.

"Miss Wyland," William begins apologetically.

"If that's all governor." Kristen visibly shaking, grabs her back pack and move towards the stairs. "I'd like to go."

At the sound of the reporters stomping feet down the wooden staircase Eleanor gets up and draws an accusing breath looking down at her husband.

"Fix. This!" She grits out between her teeth.