5

Abigail
23 April 2015

I was never a late sleeper. As soon as bedtime was announced I'd be out like the lights. I relished my sleep.

But despite my old age home sleeping habits, I found myself happily slithering my arm under the pillow to answer my phone in the middle of the night.

The incessant blip and water drop, which was Liz's ringtone, dragged me out of the depths of sleep at 11:52pm. I'd known that the call would be coming. I'd been waiting all night for it. As usual, I'd wanted to stay up and wait for her but my apparent bed induced narcolepsy wouldn't let me stay up past eight.

While others waited for good morning messages and could kiss their lovers goodnight at the end of a day, I spent my days in suspense of the next time Liz would call me.

The paranoia and secrecy that surrounded our relationship was unbelievable. Those were the things you had to think about when you were a 28 year old governor's daughter sleeping with the 39 year old states attorney. It was those kinds of things - things that people took for granted that me and Liz had to think about.

A sense of calm relief washed over me when I saw the caller ID buoy her name on my screen.

"Hello." I answer, trying my best to sound fully awake.

"Hi."

Although she can't see me, I can't help but smile half asleep at the phone. Except for a few quick daytime trysts, I haven't seen much of the states attorney since January. She overworked herself I kept telling her. Although there was a point in February where she'd spent most Sundays with me, lately, I got the feeling she'd been avoiding me.

At times, I stayed up waiting for her to call at whatever hour she arrived home. I waited for her to reach out to me. God forbid we had a normal relationship where she could just come home and work here or I could stay at her place.

I wonder what that would look like - if we lived together. We'd have to make space for my makeshift studio and space for her office. Would we sit on the bed or would she work on the desk as I watched her from the couch.

These kinds of thoughts are fleeting. I never seem to have the patience to think too much on them. It's impractical and unrealistic to think that we could be so openly happy about living together so the point is moot.

"Just thought I'd check up on you." Elizabeth's voice pulled me out of my thoughts. I could hear shuffling in the back. She probably just got in and was changing her clothes.

"And the verdict?" I asked.

"Asleep. But you're fine."

"I'm glad you called. I was bored today. I wanted someone to talk to."

"You could've called."

"Nah, it wasn't important."

"Well, I'm here now, so what did you wanna talk about."

"Nothing, really. The pictures I took for the marathon came out really well. I don't know. Maybe I just missed you." I'd never told her that before. I miss you. Three simple words that seemed to flow easily off of a couple's lips. I miss you. A strange feeling of want that had been evident within me in the last month that I hadn't been able to express in words until now.

I felt her breath catch at my words.

"Ab." She whispered. I knew she only called me that one syllable when she struggled to express something to me. It was an explanation that said: she couldn't explain. It was a word I'd come to know meant don't push for answers because I'd only be left unsatisfied.

"Are you avoiding me?" I asked.

I could hear her sigh as she opened her drawer. I wondered where it was in relation to her bed; was it made of wood or painted; big or small. I'd never been to her place. We'd always meet at mine - I'd always wait for her to come to me.

"Maybe." She finally answered me.

"Mind telling me why?"

"Because I'm keeping a really big secret from you and it's not mine to tell."

I wanted her to continue. See where she took it. Let her lead.

"Have you spoken to your father?" She asked instead.

"God Liz no." I chuckled. "Why? Should I?"

"No. Was just wondering if he's spoken to you lately."

"Nope. It's still too early for holiday season and you know those are the only times I hear from him for those obnoxious photo ops."

"Abby." She chides.

"What, it's true? Daughter for hire."

"He loves you."

"I know." I sigh into the phone. I did know but that didn't mean I had to like the way he paraded me around. "So does it have something to do with my fatherrrr?" I asked.

"Abby don't play the guessing game with me."

"Aww why not. Its become the highlight of my weeks. Guess the client that's keeping the SA up at night."

"Because it's late, I'm tired and I'm afraid I'd lose and give in." She whined .

"Is it big?"

"Yes."

"Should I be worried."

"No."

"About us I mean."

"I know. No."

"Ok. I won't ask."

"Thank you." I heard the relief in her voice as if I had pushed she would have given in to me. I scoffed mentally. I would never presume to have that much influence or power over Elizabeth.

"Does that mean you'll stop avoiding me?" I asked to let her know that it was safe once more and the topic had been dropped.

She chuckled. "It's not just the secret I really am tied down at work."

"Mmmm, I hate you."

"No you don't." She whispered with a smile.

Pulling a breath between my teeth, I turned over to face the ceiling.
"No, I don't." I say to her. I'm actually in love with you, I admitted to myself in the stretching silence. There wasn't much left to say except to enjoy the sound of her breathing on the other side.

"Goodnight, sheriff Masey."

"Goodnight, Abigail."