Mingle-Mangle

Some Time After

"Hey Jade!"

"Hi Althea - -"

"So you bike to school?" Althea breathlessly asked

"Did you chase after me?" I frowned

"Honestly, yeah, I saw you rounding down the corner, I thought I could outrun you but, wow." Althea panted and I laughed, she's all sweaty and her necktie's loosened up.

"You should've called me out, dummy." I scolded

"I wanted to surprise you. But I failed." Althea goofily smiled as we stare at each other like idiots, smiles not disappearing.

"So do you bike?" I asked breaking the eye contact first

"Well I used to, but when I got involved in an accident, my grandfather didn't allow me to bike ever again." She said

"Grandfather?" I frowned because the Althea I met before I'm sure, have a happy complete family.

"Yeah, I haven't told you that, my parents died in a car accident, when I was eight. One morning they're happily packing their things for a short vacation for their anniversary, and the next thing I knew I was in a funeral."

"Oh. I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine. Actually you know what, I haven't had the chance to cry when they're lowering the caskets, because I didn't know who's inside. My grandpa, just told me about it after."

"What happened about biking?" I asked changing the subject before she could sulk.

"I loved biking since I was a kid, I even cried out loud back when I was five or six, we're at the mall and I really wanted a bike but my mom didn't want to get me one, so what more can a six year old spoiled brat do right?" Althea instantly smiled

"Your naughtiness is innate yes?"

"No doubt. The accident happened when I was twelve, I was supposed to visit my mom and dad because it's their death anniversary, and I wanted to do it myself. My grandpa told me no but I snuck out late at night, and I didn't memorise the trail up the hill so I went over the rails good thing there's a safety second level with rails just three feet below."

"Althea seriously what's wrong with you?!" I scolded, involuntarily raising my voice.

"I know, that's exactly how Kathleen reacted the first time she heard the story from Pops."

"Your grandpa knows about you and her?"

"Yeah, my Pop's and hers are good friends and business partners. My dad and her dad were best friends before as well." Althea explained.

"It's kind of family tradition?" I teased

"But she's not my best friend." Althea shook her head

"But she's your girlfriend right? She can be your best friend too."

"Nope. I don't want to. I want another secret-keeper."

"Have you found another secret-keeper?" I turned to her as we stop by the bicycle racks.

"Yeah."

"Who?"

"You."

"What? What if I don't want to?" I raised an eyebrow

"Could you really tell me no?" She challenged

"I can." I shrugged

"Even if I do this?" Althea asked as she held both of my shoulders and pulled me into a hug, a tight warm hug. My heart started racing as she bury her face on the crook of my neck.