More Than Meets the Eye

Some Time After

"Ama Jade?" Young Althea turned to me with a hopeful smile, she offered her hand to me and when I took it we were suddenly engulfed by a bright light.

The next thing I saw was the framed photograph of me and Althea on my bedside table again the alarm next to it is buzzing off. I felt headache settling in, I caught a waft of iron and a gush of warm fluid trickled down my nose and I saw blood.

I struggled to get up and walked towards the bathroom and saw myself on the mirror looking paler and sicker than last night, I am almost grey. I cleaned myself and took a warm shower to ease my migraine.

After getting dressed I immediately tried travelling to Althea, I sat on the edge of my bed, trying to focus all concentration to a picture of my Althea waiting for me in our condo, even with the load of other pictures replaying in my brain from everything I saw last night.

Some Time During

"Jade!" I heard Althea beamed and I knew even without opening my eyes yet I am somewhat home. I felt Althea knelt in front of me and I opened my eyes to her.

"What happened love? You disappeared while we're talking yesterday and you didn't come back right away. I got scared" Althea said eyes glistening of worry and longing. She held both my hands and kissed them.

"I'm sorry love, I can't travel here. I tried so hard but I couldn't. And me being here now just happened by luck." I said my voice breaking.

"Oh my, now we're dealing with loose threads."

"Loose threads?"

"Have you watched the time traveler's wife? It's kind of like that, you disappear involuntarily because you've travelled a lot in one lifetime."

"What should I do?"

"We're going to Dr. Paul - -"

Some Time After

"Fuck!" I cursed when Althea disappeared again. I was about to try and get back on the other side when the doorbell rang. I hesitated at first but if it was Althea I'm sure she'd long opened my door. So I gave up, walked to the front door and opened it to Batchi, Sally, Wila and Pearl.

"Hey what's up?" I smiled.

"What do you mean what's up? We're on our way to Althea now, we're giving her a private bridal shower remember?" Sally frowned

"But we're set to give her a surprise bridal shower two days before her wedding right?" I asked and they looked at me funny.

"Jade what calendar have you been looking at? Althea's wedding is on the day after tomorrow." Batchi awkwardly laughed.

"Oh I'm sorry, I'll meet you there after half an hour, I'll take a shower first, excuse me." I alibied before closing the door on them. I know they're wondering right now but I gotta do what I have to do first. So instead of getting dressed I tried travelling but I cannot again. I tried for a few more times but I just couldn't and Sally's buzzing my phone already so I decided to just get Althea's bridal shower over with before I returned on the other side.

After another half an hour, I went to Althea's unit and a great deal of alcohol was already laid in front of them.

"So Althea what's your last wish before you get married and be under Kathleen for the rest of your life?" Batchi joked while we're in the middle of drinking, eating and talking.

"Does it have to be dirty?" Althea challenged

"Is it?" Batchi asked not backing down, we all have alcohol in our system and I'm sure this kind of talk isn't gonna end well but I stayed silent, I was still being pre-occupied by the impending work I should be doing right now.