XII. Paradise.

As his mother and Elaine continued to chat, Clark's finger started to fiddle with his fork. Barely noticing, his food has been untouched and uneaten. Clark didn't feel hungry; in fact he was confused and a little scared for the decision he has to make. In between their conversations, Elaine would flash a concerned look at Clark. Her green eyes filled with sympathy and softness Clark needed. Maybe he should ask Elaine about the situation, what she would do if the fate of the world were in her hands. She smiled at Clark, sending him a weird, small butterfly-like feeling in his stomach.

"Clark? Is everything alright? You haven't touched your dinner." His mother asked, tossing Elaine and her's plates to the sink.

Quickly looking up, Clark replied, "I'm fine, Mom. I'm just not hungry tonight. Is there anything you need help with?"

"Well, I do need—" His mother started.

"I'll help, Mrs. Kent. Clark, you should go get some rest." Elaine interrupted, raising her hand in the air like a little first grader.

"Oh, Elaine, sweetheart. You don't have too. Please, call me Martha. Mrs. Kent is ways away." Clark's mother joked beamingly.

"No, it's fine, Mrs... I mean, Martha." Elaine said.

Elaine sat up from her seat and walked over to his mother, asking about any assignments that needed to be done. Clark left the two and sat on the porch with thoughts about the General Zod situation. He was torn on whether to turn himself in or to remain hiding from the world. Throughout his whole life, Clark hid from the world. Waiting for the world to be ready to find out about his existence. Maybe, it was time for the world to find out who he was. Right at this moment, the world needed hope and that was his role in the world, to guide and give the human race a symbol of hope. But, General Zod... could he be trusted?

"What'cha doing out here?" Elaine spoke, folding her arms against her chest. She looked above into the sky and let out a soft sigh. "Wish we could get this kind of view in Metropolis."

"It's pretty." Clark replied, gazing at the stars as well. His hands suddenly became sweaty and his heart started to beat rapidly. Why was he acting like this? Sure, the Zod situation is nerve-wrecking as it is, but this wasn't why he was suddenly nervous. Soon Clark bashfully realized the amount of time he had spent gazing at Elaine. Taking in her curly blonde ponytail and wide smile, it was just like 7th grade. All the boys around her were anxious to know the pretty new girl. Everyone wanted to know her and to friend her as if she was the next successful movie star.

"Clark. Want to join Martha – I mean, your mom and I for a lil' dance party? It'll be fun, I promise." Elaine asked, widening her smile as she raised her hand as if she was taking an oath.

A bit hesitant, Clark accepted her invitation. He needed to take his mind off this situation for a brief moment. He wasn't much of a dancer but watching his mother try to dance seemed entertaining for him. Clark sat on their old couch as his mother's favorite song; "Dancing Queen" by Abba continued to play in the background. Old, pop, girly sounding music wasn't Clark's thing, but it took his mind off the situation. Clark chuckled to himself as his mother pointed her fingers across her chest, trying her best to be in sync with the music. Elaine had her hand behind her head and her open arm was slowly circling her petite face. The two looked hilarious, Clark had to admit, and a bit ridiculously funny.

"Huh? Huh? Your old mom still has some groove in her, hey Clark?" His mother cried. She moved to a new move where she continued to step in a circle-like shape. Elaine raised her arms in the air, fist-pumping the air around her.