XX. A New Beginning.

2 Weeks Later.

Elaine fastened the sides of her combat boots as they dug themselves into the green yard of her old home. It looked different since the last time she visited the area. Vibrant colors of fruits and vegetables decorated a part of the yard – reminding her a bit of the Kents' home – how Martha would always spend her time tending to the plants. Elaine was bit hesitant to knock on her old home, afraid Olivia would appear and give her the grim news that her mother lost the battle with her demons. The thought gave her an upsetting and guilty feeling in her stomach. Her heart felt heavy and filled with pain and sorrow for her broken family. She came back to tell her mother and sister the news – a decision she had made that was needed for a while now. Her heavy hand knocked on the polished door, Elaine's heart beating against her chest.

You shouldn't be afraid. Just tell them.

The door slowly opened, revealing an unrecognizable figure. Elaine jerked her head to the side, her eyes confused by the figure before her. The figure let out a small, shy smile before raising her hands in a ta-da motion. Elaine blinked her eyes several times before her mind registered who the figure was.

"Oh my gosh. Mom?" Elaine cried, still speechless at her new appearance.

Two weeks ago, Elaine saw her mother at the down point – tear-stained, tangled grey hairs, and dark circles underneath her tear-heavy eyes – now another figure stood before her with a brand new energy inside of her. Her hair was no longer shaded with several gray strands, instead it was returned to its natural blonde color. The tear-stained eyes were now red-free and no longer puffy, decorated with tiny details of eye makeup. Instead of a pale complexion, her mother now had a healthy glow to her cheeks topped with a very light pink blush. Life was brought back to her dead mother. Elaine was speechless. She had never seen her mother like this.

"Well, are you going to say something?" Her mother questioned, raising a brow.

"Did-did you... what happened?" Elaine let the words slip out of her mouth.

"Well, I did what you told me to do. Get help. I did, and I'm now in a support group and I'm seeking help. I'm feeling better and I just, want to sincerely thank as well as apologize to you." Her mother took in a deep breath. "I'm so sorry about all the lies and the trouble I've caused in your life. My motives were stupid and childish, I understand if you aren't quick to forgive me, I did some horrible, horrible damage to our family and I'm so sorry for that."

This time unlike the many countless apologizes her mother has made; this one was the most sincere out of the bunch. Elaine felt her mother's broken pain even though she didn't understand her mother's motives, the apology was real and sincere – that was all Elaine needed to hear from her mother. Her mother rebuilding the broken pieces of her life and starting over that was all Elaine needed to see before she left. But no forgiveness is being offered at this time, this was going to take a while to rebuild and forgive... Elaine didn't know when she'd forgive her mother but she knew when the time was right, she would.

"You're right about me not forgiving you, because... all those lies and the way you raised me, kept me away from the world and a father who loves me – even when I was an accident. I don't know when or where we'll be at the time when I'll learn to forgive you. Just not right now." Elaine said firmly, holding back the small tears in her eyes.

Not the time to be vulnerable Elaine.

Her mother nodded, understanding her reason not to forgive. Her eyes looked up at Elaine as her hands cupped her face softly. Their identical green eyes that seen so much of the world and shed so many tears for them. Her mother pressed her lips toward her forehead – a motive her mother would never do. A simple motherly kiss on the forehead to assure her daughter that everything was going to be okay.