Chapter Four: Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

Chapter Four: Life is uncertain.  Eat dessert first

It was noon and as hot as ever. Eva and I were walking to the place where we left our cupcakes.

She was ranting on and on about how Adrianna stole her place on the top tier. “And you know what she said?”

“What?” I asked not really caring.

“She said she was a better baker than me so she deserves the top tier. I mean first of all it didn’t even make sense and second of all I can’t believe she had the audacity to say that to my face!”

We walked through the building. Cold air immediately cooled my hot face and slightly blew my hair back. The tables where the cupcakes used to sit were now replaced with sheets of paper containing our partner’s name. Me and Eva were one of the first people here, so we didn’t have to push through a crowd of teenage hormones.

I started to scan each paper for my compatible other, when I heard Eva's devasted drama queen voice. “Are you serious?!” Eva screeched. “I got paired with Melissa AKA: Mighty Contaminator.” Her voice rang throughout the room. “I swear I saw her flick a booger in the French Toast last year!” She screwed up her face and I chuckled and went back to searching the paper.

“Fancy meeting you here.” I peered to the side, seeing Ayden leaned over my shoulder looking at the list. I ignored him and kept looking for my name so I could leave his presence. “Are we playing the silent game or something?” he asked playfully but there was something lurking underneath his playful tone. I kept my mouth shut. I was starting to get on his nerves by being on mute, I could tell. “Fine don’t say anything.” He stormed away huffing under his breath.

I was about to scan the last sheet when Eva walked over. “Were you having a conversation with Ayden?”

I stood up lazily and crossed my arms. “I wouldn’t call it a conversation if he did all the talking.”

Eva smiled warily. “Let’s just hope Ayden isn’t your partner, or you could be in some deep shit.” Eva walked out of the building trying to find Melissa.

There was my name…right next to Ayden Callaway’s. Are you kidding me?!

I briskly walked out of the building as people filed in, trying to find Ayden. He was perched against a tree in front of our cabin. “Well, look who decided to join the party.” His voice was full of pep, but his words were drenched in sarcasm.

We didn’t have time for chit chat. Adrianna or Eva could be back any moment. “Listen, Ayden. I don’t mean to sound rude," actually I do, "but we need to get some things straight. I’m not talking to you unless it has to do with the challenge. We aren’t exactly friends so stop acting like we are.” I cut straight to the point making my voice extra bitchy.

He stood a little straighter. His warm cornflower blue eyes turned icy and hard. “Maybe you didn’t understand my motives for ‘befriending’ you.” The cute boy act faded real quickly, and the playfulness made a detour to ‘I’m- staying- the- hell- away city’. “Look, Serenity, I always win the competitions here at Frosted, and this year won’t be an exception. No matter how much you think you can win, you won’t.” He sent me one last smirk before sauntering away.

If only he knew we were actually partners.

I no longer saw Ayden as the hottest boy on the cover of Vogue: Baker’s Edition. Nope, his personality blurred his looks. And to be honest, he looked freaking ugly.  The way that the sun warmed up his skin, adding a slight sparkle or the way the sky brought out his eyes…disgusting!

*****

Mom still hadn’t called yet, and my only friend was Eva. Whenever I saw Ayden with his friends he would send a glare my way that chilled my bones, and whenever I saw Adrianna she would either be openly making out with Ayden or shooting me a glare filled with loathing.

Eva was out discussing her competition plans with her partner, Melissa, and Adrianna was out doing something. I honestly didn’t give a crap about her. I was in bed flipping through some channels when someone pounded on the door. I sighed and pushed the pause button.

The knocking got louder and more urgent. I bet it was Ayden coming here to suck faces with Adrianna. “Look, if you’re looking for Adrianna she’s not—” I swung open the door and there stood Eva.

“Why would I be looking for that bitch?” She mumbled and walked in holding a medium sized tuber-ware container. I followed her to the kitchen and watched intently while she opened the plastic holder. The smell of vanilla and cinnamon wafted through my nose and lingered throughout the whole cabin. “Bon appetite, dinner is served, Mademoiselle.”

I looked down and saw that Eva had placed two, expertly made, pieces of French toast down on separate plates. The clock above the oven read seven twenty five. I stared at Eva, wondering why we were having breakfast, no dessert, when it was time for dinner.

“Why are we having French toast at this time of night?” I picked up my plate and sat it next to hers on the table.

She took a big bite out of the pastry and chewed intensely. “Because one: We’re all bakers in this cabin and no one knows how to cook, two: Melissa made these and I didn’t want to get sick and suffer by myself. I mean she could have dropped a mucky mucous ball into the batter, and three: I couldn’t decide what we were going to have for dinner, so we eat dessert first!”

The piece of sweet egg covered toast was about to be placed into my mouth, until I thought better of it, and sat it back down on the plate. “I’ll pass.” I frowned, trying not to throw up all over the floor, and put my plate on the counter.  Adrianna burst through the door as I was about to dump the contents in the sink. “We made you dinner.” I said sweetly, changing my mind about throwing the food out, holding out the nasty-ass booger toast.

She cautiously grabbed, looked at it suspiciously and retreated to her room. Eva and I were in the middle of talking about the competition, when we heard a shriek from Adrianna’s room.  “What is a freaking booger doing in this!” We looked at each other and smirked.

“I guess she got the bad batch.” I shrugged carelessly and grinned.

Karma’s a bitch ain’t it?