Chapter Twelve: Let's end this once and for all!

Chapter Twelve: Let’s end this once and for all!

PART I- Trouble in Paradise

Recap: Eva tries to get Ayden to admit that he likes Serenity, but he denies it. Serenity is angry at Ayden for getting involved in her relationship and her feelings towards Jesse are somewhat conflicted. Ayden apologizes to Serenity in the form of a buttercrème frosted cupcake, and now slowly but surely they are learning to forgive one another.

Ayden and I sat on the couch huddled together scribbling furiously on our notepads, while watching Cupcake Wars. This is how we spent a full two weeks, and frankly everybody was getting tired of it.

“Can you please move?!” A pudgy boy gripping a bowl of cake asked. “You both have been in the same spot since forever ago! This is the only television on campus, and Iron Man 2 comes on tonight!”

Ayden waved his hand and mumbled something distracted. I shrugged helplessly and resumed back to taking notes.

All of the sudden, the television shut off. “Come on, Serenity. You need some fresh air.” Ayden stiffened at the sound of Jesse’s voice.

I stiffened at the sound of Adrianna’s as she wrapped herself around a tense Ayden. “Yeah, Serenity.” She purred. “You need some fresh air.”

I stared at Jesse who was holding the remote control and then at Adrianna who was desperately trying to seduce Ayden. I narrowed my eyes. Something’s off.

“Buzz off, pretty boy. Obviously Serenity doesn’t want you here.” Ayden rolled his eyes and simply flipped Adrianna off, while he studied his notes. “Besides we all know the reason why you’re really here.” He abruptly looked up and stared into Jesse’s eyes.

“Yeah, because I told you the reason: I love Serenity and –“

Ayden cut him off. “The real reason, Jesse.”

Jesse paled and Ayden’s face was serious and cold. “I may not be as innocent as Serenity, but I know why you’re here and best believe you will not hurt Serenity any more than you already have.”

Everyone was silent. Adrianna slithered to Jesse’s side trying to defend him. “He simply loves—“

“You cheated on her because she would put out, and now you’re here because the girl you were with found out you were cheating and you realized what you lost.” Ayden simply stated.

Jesse didn’t say a word and I took that as my cue. “Is that true?” I asked even though I already knew the answer.

He fumbled around. “Uh..well…I mean. Babe you know I love you!”

I stood up gripping the small notepad. “I think it’s time for you to go.” I wasn’t mad anymore or upset, just disappointed and somewhat relieved that this chapter of my life was finally over.

*****

I hung my head out of the window and breathed in the smell of freshly cut hay and warm kettle corn and something sweet. My hair whipped away from my face as Ayden drove his beat up cherry red pick-up truck that clashed with his star-like personality.

“Serenity, get your head back in here!” he grumbled good naturedly.

After we unofficially declared ourselves friends and Ayden exposed the real Jesse, we decided to figure out a way to bond more. For the competition of course.

I pulled my head safely back inside. “So where exactly are we going?”

Ayden pulled up at a red light. “A break from Frosted, that’s where.”