17

He quickly shut off the kitchen sink and Adrian turned down the volume of the stereo. They both stood quietly while looking in the direction of the front door.

The pounding was heard again, this time louder, unlike before when there was more noise to drown it out.

Adrian signaled for John to stay where he is while he snuck to the front door.

Adrian approached the door and peered through the peephole.

No one was there.

He unlocked the door, but kept the door chain in place incase someone tried to force it open. He slowly cracked the door open to make sure no one was there.
The coast was clear.
He closed the door, undid the door chain and opened it again. He poked his head out like a mouse coming out of it's hole, and stepped outside.

A piece of notebook paper was thumb tacked to the door. One corner of it was burnt and smudge with cigarette ash. He tore it off and started reading it. His eyes grew with fear.

"John!", Adrian called. He dashed to the front door.

He stopped in the doorway and gagged. A familiar stench of alcohol and cigarette smoke filled his nostrils.
It disgusted him.

The only person he knew that was revolting was his father.

What was he doing here? What does he want? How did he know where Adrian lived? Did he follow them?

So many questions rushed through his head, rapidly speeding up his breathing and heartbeat.

John stood still, staring at the ground. "H-He was h-here", he said, quivering. "I know he was"

Adrian handed him the note that read:

"Did you think you could run away from me? You're not so smart. Do you think your little friend can protect you? Pathetic. You have no way to escape me. I know where your hiding. And you think your feeble brother is going to be safe at the hospital? Think again. I'm his father. I have legal the obligation to pay him a little visit.

Keep running boy, you'll never find me"

His stomach twisted inside of him. He felt a lump in the back of his throat. His hands turn into fists that crumbled the paper. His eyes were filled with absolute fury.

"We need to get the hospital!", John shouted, squeezing his fists tighter.

Adrian placed his hands on John's shoulders and looked at him.

"John calm down", he said quietly.

Adrian looked at the note and saw more writing on the back.

"John look"

They turned the paper over only to reveal that the paper was taken from Devin's notebook because of the writing on it.

"This is Devin's", John said lowly, his voice a bit shaky. "We have to get him out of there"

"I know", Adrian replied.

"I can't let that foul monster hurt him, i'll never forgive myself. He's hurt us way too much, I can't- I won't let him torture us anymore"

Adrian nodded in agreement. He brought John into a comforting hug.

"You both don't deserve this, I won't let him"
Adrian began to rub John's back with his hand in circles.

"I love you", he said softly.

"I love you too"