20 (Final chapter)

John's whole world collapsed.
His heart shattered, leaving behind shards that dug into his lungs. His breath was shaking.
He couldn't believe this happened.

"No. He wouldn't. He couldn't do that. He had to be killed by somebody!", John erupted.

"We found the weapon was in his hand, hun", the lady told John softly. "I'm dreadfully sorry"

Adrian embraced John, caressing him."John, I'm so sorry", he whispered.

John didn't move. He stood still, starting at the white tiles on the hospital floor. He didn't say anything. He didn't cry either for tears could not express the amount of internal pain he was in.

After a couple minutes, John finally spoke, but his voice was dull and dead.
"Can we go home?"

"Yes, yes we can", Adrian replied.

It was a quiet ride. Although Adrian didn't have a radio, it didn't stop him from breaking the silence.

He broke into song, his angelic voice filling the car with sound.

"This is why events unnerve me,
They find it all, a different story,
Notice whom for wheels are turning,
Turn again and turn towards this time..."

John's eyes lit up.
That song.
Ceremony.
When he was young, his mother used to play music that helped her through her tough times, and New Order was one of the groups she listened to. John mind filled with nostalgia.
John's eyes began to water as he looked out the window. The sky was gray and water began to trickle down onto the window.
He looked back at Adrian who was still singing. The amount of emotion grew with each lyric he sang.

"Oh, I'll break them all, no mercy shown,
Heaven knows, it's got to be this time,
Watching her, these things she said,
The times she cried,
Too frail to wake this time..."

John placed his hand on Adrian's thigh. Adrian turned in John's direction, and both smiled at each other.

"Oh I'll break them all, no mercy shown
Heaven knows, it's got to be this time,
Avenues all lined with trees,
Picture me and then you start watching,
Watching forever, forever,
Watching love grow, forever,
Letting me know, forever."

They arrived home. Adrian parked in the garage and they both got out of the car.

Adrian stuck his key in the door and turned it, only to find that it was already unlocked.

"That's weird", Adrian whispered.

He slowly turned the doorknob and opened the door. He stepped inside.

Stay here", Adrian ordered John.

"No, I'm coming with you, if there is someone here, I don't want you to be alone"

"Alright"

They crept through the hall, trying to keep quiet. Broken glass was scattered across the floor, along with broken picture frames that were knocked off the walls.

"Call the cops", whispered Adrian.

John did so and began to dial 911. John heard a click followed by an operator ask "911, what's your emergency?"
John tried to stay as quiet as possible.
"Yes there's a break in at our house"

"Alright, I'll send the police on over, what's your address?"
Adrian promptly told the operator their address and ended the call. He then turned his attention to a white ball.

John placed his hand over his mouth.
"Adrian", John called.

Adrian turned around and looked at John, puzzled.