Four

"Hermione, are you alright?"

Harry asked, concerned by the torn look on her face.

Everything was going wrong, she didn't feel like she belonged anywhere anymore, Ron and her had faded apart and she had lost people she loved.

"I'm fine, just a little shaken up."

That was the biggest lie.

"Are you sure that's it?"

He whispered, and she nodded. He held her hand, that was shivering slightly. Pulling her into a hug, they sat there for a while, leaning against each other.

"Sometimes I wish it never happened."

Harry stated, and they both knew he meant the war. Hermione nodded sadly against his shoulder, and he sighed.

They heard someone approaching around the corner, and assumed it to be Ron.

Unexpectedly, it was Draco, scurrying away from the crowd. Before rushing up the stairs, he glanced back at Hermione. His eyes swivelled to her arm for half a second, and when she realised what he had been looking at, she pressed her hand firmly behind her back, her eyes full of hurt. Harry shot him a look, and just like that, he left.

She let out a soft cry, it barely escaping her lips. Harry didn't hear, and she wiped away the traces of her tears before he noticed.

"I'm going to rest," she announced quietly, and Harry nodded.

He followed her with his eyes as she swerved up the stairs to their dormitory. He really did wish the war never happened, and that they would still be the closest of friends.

*

What had I done?

He ran up the stairs, leaving Harry and Hermione behind him.
He had caused this, all of it. He called her a mudblood, and now she had a scar because of it. Because of him.
She had never done anything wrong, yet she suffered so much.
Why did he have to hurt everybody? He was trying to do the right thing, but look at what he had done to her and to everyone she cared about!
He slumped down to the ground, regretting everything he ever did.

I hate myself.

I'm worthless.

I only cause others to suffer.

The words repeated in his mind as he broke into sobs. He held his face in his hands, wishing he was someone else.

He heard a small noise and his head shot up, looking side to side.

"Who's there?"

*

Hermione flew up the stairs, barely feeling the steps beneath her. Nothing would ever be the same again. Nothing would ever go back to the way it was.

She stopped abruptly as she heard soft cries. Turning around, she caught sight of Malfoy, slumped against the wall, sobbing.
Involuntarily, she gasped quietly and his head shot up.
She immediately jumped behind a pillar, heart thumping, praying he didn't see her.

"Who's there?"

She heard his trembling voice awfully close to her, and she pressed her palm tightly over her mouth, scared to breathe.

Her knees felt weak, and she leant against the cold pillar to cool herself down.
It was eerily quiet, and she suspected that he had left, but she didn't dare move.

A sudden cold hand grabbed her free wrist and she was pulled out of her hiding spot, revealed.

She would have screamed, but her hand was still clamped around her mouth blocking any sounds coming out of it.

He was holding her wrist, his grip only seeming to get tighter. They stood there in silence for a while, unable to say a word.
His eyes were filled with so much emotion, she couldn't bear it. They held so much pain, so much sadness.

He looked away, as if trying to calm himself. He glanced back, and his gaze landed on her wrist that he had been holding so tightly.

His free hand travelled up to hers and he started pulling up the sleeve of her robe, but she didn't move, she stood there, paralysed with fear and shock.

A silent cry escaped his lips as he gazed in horror at what he saw on her pale fore arm.
The word was engraved into it, and he had done nothing.

He bent his head in shame and she felt a warm, salty tear drip onto her skin.