Six

"And it really looked like he was suffering, so I stayed with him..."

Hermione finished her story about Draco, after her friends had solemnly promised not to tell anyone.
She looked up at them hesitantly, and was greeted by their shocked facial expressions.

"Hermione, you're mental."

"You can't possibly think Malfoy has another side to him. He's heartless."

"Hermione, you can't be serious."

All her friends gabbled at the same time, throwing snide comments at him.
She sighed and felt her heart sink. No one was there for Draco, no one even cared if he got hurt. No one bothered to ask about his day, no one just started to talk to him willingly. She couldn't even imagine living in a world with no one by her side.

You can be by his side.

She stood there, and she - she understood Malfoy in a way no one could have imagined.
Her eyes flickered towards the Slytherin table, and to her surprise, he was nowhere to be seen.

Grabbing her books, she got up from her table and left without a goodbye.
Harry and Ron exchanged glances.

"Do you think she's going to look for..."
Harry's voice trailed away.

"Him? I hope not! Bloody hell..."
Ron followed Hermione with his gaze as she left the Great Hall, and turned the corner swiftly.

Hermione sighed, and as she escaped out of their sight, she leant against the wall, heart thudding. She had just told them about her encounter with Draco, and they had not reacted as pleasantly as she had expected. Hermione thought they would have believed her, and at least given him another chance, but the war had been too harsh on them.

Letting out a breath, she slipped away to the Astronomy Tower, where so many memories lay.

Chills went up her arms as the breeze reached her and she shivered. The tower was empty, dark, and nothing like she remembered.

The arches, still remained, exposing the grounds of Hogwarts, but some of the fences seemed rusty and some were not even there.
This made it quite dangerous to go near.

Why was I here again?

Oh right, she had come here to take a break from everyone. She sighed, and sat down between the shadows and the darkness, barely visible.
What appeared to be hours, Hermione had been resting there for only twenty minutes when she heard shuffling interrupting the calming silence.
A figure came into view, and Hermione didn't move a muscle. She hoped the person would just leave, but he didn't.
She stayed quiet, though, because she didn't want anyone suspecting anything.

She dared to look at the person for a couple of times, and watched him pace across the floor, in frustration.
She couldn't quite make out his face, only the outline of it and a few disheveled hair strands here and there.
She wondered if she should speak up, but decided it would be for the best if she didn't, as she didn't feel so good about this. It could be anyone, and they could tell on her.

The figure abruptly stopped and she wondered if he'd spotted her. But he was facing the other way, trembling.
Hermione didn't understand the reason this person was up here. They had lessons now... then again, she was here too.

The student took a step towards one of the balconies, one that wasn't fenced up. In fact, there was no fence at all protecting it from the steep drop, so it wasn't safe to go near.

She saw the figure taking slow steps forwards, and as he reached the edge he stopped, his shoulders heaving up and down.

It didn't take long for her to realize what he was planning on doing. Whoever he was, she couldn't let him do this. Die like this.
She got up from her position quietly, trying not to startle the person. She took small steps forward, praying with every one that he couldn't hear her.

He was too consumed in his own thoughts that he didn't even remotely hear her approaching him.
Hermione reached out her hands. His back was facing her, and she saw his foot hover over the edge. Before he could step any further, she wrapped her arms tightly around his waist and pulled him backwards into the Astronomy Tower, away from the high fall.

With a small yelp, he toppled over and fell onto her. She huffed from his weight but held onto his waist, incase he tried to jump off again.