Thirteen

"Harry, stop!"

Ron firmly pulled Harry back into the train compartment by his robes to stop him from leaving.

"But I have to go back to Hogwarts! I need to talk to her about this."

He struggled to get out of his best friend's grip, but stopped when he realised he wasn't letting go.

"Look, you can send a letter to her when we get to The Burrow. Just calm down, it's not like I support it either."

Ron scoffed as he thought back to the night he went looking for her and was unpleasantly surprised.

"But... Ron... It's Malfoy! How on earth..?"

Harry gestured with his arms and looked out of the window blankly. He couldn't believe one of his best friends was on the side of his enemy. He had tormented her all those years!

"Yea, I know it's mad. But she is like our sister, we can't just stop being friends, right?"

Ron huffed, leaning back into the seat with a sigh.
Harry just nodded, and did the same. He would have to send a letter later.

*

Draco laughed as he saw Hermione's nose scrunch up in disgust.
They were in the Great Hall, eating dinner, and people kept giving them odd stares. They didn't mind, since there weren't that many students anyway.
Draco had jinxed her food to taste weird and he thoroughly enjoyed her reaction.

"Malfoy! You annoying ferret!"

She cursed, but couldn't help but smile with him.
They sat there, laughing like fools, while the rest of the people just gazed at them in awe.

"I will hex you later."

Hermione warned, but Draco was about to fall from his chair from laughter, he was enjoying himself too much.
She huffed, pushing her plate away.
He looked up, and saw her pouty, angry face and smiled.

"Aw, you can be adorable, Granger."

She looked away, but he could see a pink tint creeping up to her cheeks.
Smirking, he took a large bite of his meal, only to gag when he tasted it. He pressed his hand over his mouth as he swallowed it unwillingly. Now it was Hermione's turn to laugh.

"I told you not to mess with me!"

She said in between giggles, her face flushed from excitement.
Draco scowled, he wasn't expecting that. Hermione noticed his irritated look and smiled.

"Aw, you can be adorable, Malfoy."

She fired his own words back at him, only making him more annoyed. But only one look at her made him smile foolishly again.
They chatted for a while, laughing and playing together, while the rest of the students wondered how they had become such close friends.
Pansy stared at them in utter hatred, while the teachers beamed at the house unity.

"Excuse me?"

A squeaky voice spoke up. Hermione noticed a girl standing beside their table, nervously playing with her bracelet. Draco eyed her suspiciously, but Hermione smiled at her warmly.

"Yes?"

The girl looked down and then back at the table where she came from, which consisted of a group of girls whispering and laughing with each other, glancing at their table.
Draco frowned.

"A-Are you... t-together?"

She stuttered out, and kept looking back at her friends, who were muttering to each other.
Draco felt anger rising inside him.

"That's none of your business!"

He said loudly, drawing the attention to a few sitting close-by.
The girl looked like she was about to cry, and hung her head in shame. She scurried away to her friends who were waiting for an answer.

"Draco!"

Hermione grasped his hand to calm him.
His eyes were filled with anger.

"Draco, it's okay. She just wanted to..."

"Do they think it's okay to go around sticking their noses in people's business?"

He cut her off, fuming with rage.
She sighed.

"I know, I know. But she was terrified! You scarred her for life, I think."

Hermione glanced back at the group who were trying to get something out of the girl who was sitting there quietly, unable to look up at them.
Draco let out a small laugh, Hermione would always make him feel better.

"I guess I would also want to know if two people from different houses started dating. It's pretty rare."

He admitted, raking his fingers through his hair. Hermione laughed.

"I know right! They are probably dying to know what's going on."

She laughed, but was caught off guard by Draco's piercing eyes staring into hers.

"Why don't we let them know?"

He whispered playfully, and she looked at him to see if he was being serious.

"I don't think it's a good ide-"

Draco silenced her by pressing his lips onto hers, leaning over the table to reach her. He smiled as he could hear the gasps around them.