Sixteen

His heart ached whenever he lay eyes on her. She looked so broken, so alone.
When Harry went towards her, he felt a pang of jealousy and hate. He watched him sit down next to her.

He didn't want anything more than to be in his place. Harry had the privilege to be with her, and no one thought anything wrong of it.

People had gotten over them, a few whispers here and there, but the rumour had settled down.
As if Draco would even notice, his thoughts were on her at all times.

Pansy didn't even come near him, at least that was good. She probably got a suspension for attempting to harm another student, and he was glad.

Draco sat at his table, leaning forward on his elbows, so that he didn't have to make eye contact with anyone.
He wasn't hungry, he hadn't been for this past week. Nothing could fill that gaping hole in his gut anyway, other than her beautiful smile.
Breathing heavily, he got up from his seat, and left quickly, but not before spotted her from the corner of his eye.
She was hunched over, her hair covering most of her face, but she looked lost and alone, despite Potter desperately trying to talk to her.
That was what stopped him in his tracks, and he spun around, his pace quickening as he got closer to her.
Ron had already spotted him, and started glaring at him. But that wouldn't stop Draco.
He had already reached her, and was about to grab hold of her shoulder, he needed her.

Mrs. McGonagall rose from her chair swiftly, and all the gazes wandered to her.

"Euh... I have no annoucement, I just wanted to wish you all a wonderful meal."

Draco looked up at the professor, only to be confronted by a warning look. His hand fell to his side, and he backed away from the Gryffindor table, shaking with anger and emotion.

Why couldn't they be together?

*

Hermione noticed Ron's angry gaze and followed it to see what had caught his attention.

She saw a whisp of white hair dissapear out of The Hall, and her breath hitched. It wasn't him, right?

Ron was still frowning at the doorway, and she saw that Harry was too.

Did he know?

Her heart was racing, and she decided to escape the situation.

"I'm going."

She breathed to them before rushing out of the hall. Before they could stop her, she had ran out of their sight.
Harry looked at Ron, and they read each others thoughts.
They got up too, grabbing their books as they rushed after her.

*

Draco had long gone the busy place, and he stopped when he reached the dim hall, where they had shared their first moment.

His thoughts were disrupted when he heard footsteps echoing through the staircase.
He ducked behind a pillar, and felt a familiar feeling, as if it had happened before.
Draco heard sobs and his heart stopped when he recognized them.

He leaped out of his spot, approaching the collapsed figure in the shadows.

It was her.

Hermione, it was her.

He sat down beside her, wrapping his arms around her warm body. She tensed up at his touch, but relaxed once she saw who it was.

"Hermione, don't cry."

He whispered, and she slipped her small hands around him in response, resting her head on his chest, still trembling a bit.

They sat in the dark hall, hidden by the shadows of the pillars, holding onto each other, inseperable.

Nothing will come between us.

Draco promised himself solemnly, not knowing that he was terribly wrong.