Twenty Seven

Happy birthday to @Dramanda13 ! I don't know if the time zones are the same in our countries, but you wanted to read more so here you go! This is my present to you ;)

--

"It has been exactly a year after the tragic death of Draco Malfoy, an excellent student with a bad reputation. The former son of a Death Eater named Lucius Malfoy, Draco died at the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, leaving many believing he comitted suicide. The professional doctors of St. Mungos hospital claim to have failed to save him. He will be remembered, not in good terms by some."

Hermione slammed the newspaper down, tears starting to well up in her hazel eyes. She hugged her knees tight against her chest, while she rested on the worn leather sofa, rocking herself gently.

The memories started to flood back, but then again, they did everyday. She just couldn't escape them.
It had been a year. A full year packed with grief, sorrow, and pain. And again she faced another. Now that she was out of Hogwarts and she had more time to think, the horrible scenes of the war started to haunt her. Almost every night, the nightmares came to her, and she woke up drenched in sweat, ears ringing. Hermione had become weaker with every hour, every day her wall of bravery crumbling down, bit by bit.

It was a pain living here, in the damp old apartment. She had tried cleaning it up, adding some of her personal belongings and framed memories here and there, but it just didn't feel like home. Not without-

Be strong. Forget him.

Those were the words she had firmly told herself the first day in the apartment, but it was different now. Today was the day, when a year ago, the grief completely consumed her heart and a heavy weight dragged her soul down, dooming all faith and hope she had left there. Today was the exact day of him... leaving.

Hermione sighed. The darkness of the room engulfed her and the thoughts whirling through her mind. She was always brave, strong, people looked up to her. But now, she was alone, and no one could see her drowning herself in a pool of sorrow.
The fire crackled, accenting her pale skin with a soft, orange glow. It was warm, but Hermione felt hollow and cold, as if a gust of wind was echoing within her.

A person passing by might never have noticed anything abnormal - it all seemed fine. Only a few knew her internal pain and suffering.

-

"No, I haven't."

The raspy voice hissed, near the skin of his neck, leaving shivers run down his spine. It was already evening, and the nights soon covered the streets in a sheet of black.

The stranger passing by wore a cloak, draped over his shoulders, so long it was almost swiping the dust off the roads. A hood was resting on the top of his hair, and he frequently pulled it down, to stop it from moving with the wind.

He seemed to be in search an something - in a hurry. Continuously asking for an address, no one seemed to know anything to help him reach his goal. It was pointless, really. People were too scared to simply reveal a location.

His long, silky fingers brushed against the clasp at the front of his cloak, running through the intricate details engraved into the bronze of the rim. Its purpose was to keep the clothing piece together, pinning the two edges side by side. It was beautiful, and feeling the uneven edges calmed him.

It was all going to be all right.

He stepped into a nearby bookstore, the scent of worn parchment hitting him as soon as he set foot in there. A tiny bell rung above him, as the wooden door moved.

The dust particles danced around him like a halo.

Dark places gave off a mysterious vibe, with the silence and musty atmosphere.

An old man slumped by the counter, cloudy reading glasses perched on his crooked nose, clutching a newspaper. The late hours of the night seemed to have worn him out, by the looks of it. His eyes had drooped, the wrinkles around them setting into his skin. He was losing his grip on reality- soon tumbling down into dreams. The fresh papers slipped through his fine fingers, sliding on the ground with a silent swoop.

The new customer headed towards the desk, lifting the news from the ground. His sharp eyes scanned the front, his eyebrows furrowing at the sight.

"It has been exactly a year after the tragic death of Draco Malfoy, an excellent-"

The papers rumpled in his hands, creating an uneasy sound in the silence. Before you know it, the parchments had fallen to the floor, fluttering about like leaves in the late autumn.

The stranger had gone as quickly as he had arrived.

The bell tinkled again, with his exit, while strong gusts of wind welcomed him to the outside. The drowsy state he had accustomed to in the store was now completely washed away.

It was becoming colder, and his hood was lifted off along with the frosty breeze. Shivering, he urgently pulled it back on, covering the platinum blond hair it was supposed to be disguising.

-

Hey!

I'm pretty sure this story is going to end soon! XD
Be prepared for one or two long chapters!