Eighteen

This is already a week later, and they have been writing each other non-stop.

Hermione sighed as she twirled the pen in her hands. She was trying to think of an idea for her essay - she had to write about the most powerful spells in the world.

A swish of wings distracted her, and her heart leapt when she saw his owl. Hermione hastily tip-toed across to her window and untied the letter from it's claws.
The owl perched on the sill, hooting appreciatevly when recieving a stroke from Hermione.
It flew away shortly after, and left her alone with the paper in her hands. She immediately recognized the neat scrawl, and her face lit up with happiness.

Jumping on her bed, she unfolded it carefully, revealing more of the tidy words.

Dear Hermione,
I know you will receive my letter, since you're always up late studying.
But take a break, will you?

D.M.

Hermione laughed at his words, because he would write her about the smallest things. She knew it was late, but she had to finish her essay, it was due tomorrow.

Before sitting down at her desk, she placed the letter into the suitcase under her bed, which was filled with a stack of all his other messages.

She had kept them all, occasionally rereading them.

Just as she was about to put her pen to the paper, a soft knock was heard on the dormitory door. She sighed in annoyance, another student had probably forgotten the password, and was desperate to get in.
Hermione decided to help them out, and padded across the dormitory to the opening.
She swung it open, ready to dictate a lecture about forgetfulness, when she was greeted by a mischievous grin.

Her eyes widened in shock.

"Draco, what are you doing here?!"

She whisper shouted, as he waltzed into the common area.
Hermione didn't know what else to do than to pull him up to her room and shut the door behind her.

"You know this is against the rules, right?"

He smiled.

"I know, I'm just here to check if you are still studying."

She rolled her eyes, but a small smile crept up to her face.

He looked behind her and spotted the open books and paper, and he shook his head.

"I told you to take a break."

She scoffed, and hopped into her bed. He walked up next to her and sat down beside her.

"You'll overload your brain."

He chuckled, and reached out to poke her nose. She laughed, and sat up.

"Draco, is that why you came here? To check up on my study routines?"

She stated playfully, but he shook his head.

"Not only that, I just wanted to see you."

He lay down on her bed, resting his head on his palms.
Hermione felt colour rising to her cheeks, and quickly got up before he could see.

"Well, since you're here, you can help me with my essay."

He frowned, and sat up to look at her, his hair dangling infront of his eyes.

"Hermione, I said to not..."

"Shut up, and just name me some powerful spells."

He sighed, but finally gave in.

"Fine, I'll help you."

She smiled toothily at him, ignoring his annoyed glance.
He started listing some spells, and Hermione jotted down some of the ones she hadn't thought of yet.

She was concentrating on his words, when something made her freeze in horror.

That spell, the one word she dreaded to hear.

Obliviate.

He had carelessly mentioned it, as if nothing was wrong, but he didn't know. He didn't know how that one spell affected Hermione, how it made her body shiver and tense up. No one would ever be able to stop that, because it had done too much. She felt tears well up in her eyes, when she remembered her parents. It hurt, but she had to forget.
It wasn't as if they didn't remember her, but they often forgot who she was, or why she was there. It pained her so much, to the point where she decided not to visit them anymore.

She would think about them every night, and hate herself for leaving, or dread going back. It was a mix of emotions and she had managed to stay strong, to push her feelings away.
But that one word, that one spell, made it all come flowing back.

Draco had noticed Hermione's blank stare and he wondered what he had said wrong.

"Hermione?"

She looked up at him and his heart broke when he saw her sad, watery eyes. Draco walked over to her, pulling her close.

"Hermione, tell me what's wrong."

He persuaded, and felt her shoulders shake softly, making his grip tighten.

"Draco, I can't..."

She sobbed, but he insisted it was better for her.

"It's... my parents."

She whispered, but he heard it clear as day. His face went pale as he thought of his own.

"Oh, Hermione, I'm so sorry."

She shook her head, wiping a tear away before telling him everything. From the point where she cast the spell, to now. It had never felt so relieving to tell somebody about the feelings she had bottled up inside of her.
When she finished, he held her gingerly.

"Hermione, I'm sorry."