CHAPTER #3

Jenny ended up being busier than she ever dreamed possible. She rarely saw Serena and Nate, other than to say a quick hi, as she ran out the door. Lilly was sponsoring a charity play to raise funds for cancer. She had convinced Jenny to design the costumes. Some how Lilly had also organized it as extra credit for school. Lilly would pay for the fabric for the costumes and set design. Jenny at first was overwhelmed and then honoured that she was involved. The fairy tale was called 'The Firebird and Princess Vasilisa'. Jenny had to read the script to see how many costumes she had to create. The biggest challenges would be creating the horse, firebird and the wedding dress for the princess. And she had to make sure that the costumes matched the set design. She hadn't met the set designer yet, but whom ever it was, had created a mini model of what would be done. This is what Jenny used to figure out the costume colours and concepts. The mini model was perfect. It was a little more old school than contemporary.

Jenny met the actors and actresses to get their measurements, created drawings and templates for the costumes and fabric layout. Lilly gave her approval and assigned two girls and one guy as her assistants. These people would help her sew, cut and put together the costumes. Jenny had a small task force compared to that of the set design, but she was grateful for the help. Every moment not spent for school, was taken up by this play.

The theatre that was rented for the production had two floors. The upper floor had a conference room that Jenny had taken over for the costume design. There were four sewing machines, tables of supplies, fabric and everything they needed to get the job done. Eric and Mark came by with dinner one night. Mark ended up knowing Josh, Jenny's helper. They stayed while everyone ate, but Jenny kicked them out later. Josh was an expert with a sewing machine. Sonja and Karie were good all around, but needed direction. They were working together to complete the horse.

Jenny admired the set when she came in the next day. As she watched them paint, she felt like someone was watching her. Looking around she didn't see anyone turned her way, so she shrugged off the feeling. She went to do her own share of work. The first part of the play had the royal huntsman finding the firebird's feather with the talking horse. The horse costume was just about done and Josh was finishing the huntsman costume today. Sonja had begun the King's costume and Karie had the firebird partially started. Jenny had to fix the hem and waist line of Princess Vasilisa's normal dress and then she'd be focused on the crab and wedding dress. The crab she hoped she could get the set designer's help on. Then she'd only have to do the legs and arms of the crab in fabric. Lilly had given her the cell number of the set designer, so they could arrange meetings. Jenny called and left him a message to meet her tonight by the stage. She hadn't received a call back, so she decided that meant they would meet. In the mean time she had tons of work to do. The people of the town wouldn't have more then a vest, hat or skirt for costume, but it all had to be co-ordinated.

The others left and Jenny was still working on the wedding dress. She jumped when her cell alarm told her to go to the meeting. She quickly packed up and locked the door. Running down the stairs made her breathless, but she got there on time. The stage was well lit and Jenny climbed up on to it. She put out the crab drawings. No one seemed to be around.

"Hello? Anyone here?"

A voice answered up in the rafters, "Yah, just a second, fixing something up here. I'll be right down."

"Okay, no rush!" Jenny called out.

A red headed guy appeared five minutes later and apologized for being late. Jenny found he talked fast and came across as aggressive. His name was Derek and he was in college. He agreed to the crab cut out and said he'd have it ready for her tomorrow night. Jenny gave him a piece of fabric to match the paint colour. He told her to meet him same time and same place. Then he told her he was closing the site so she would have to leave. He wasn't exactly rude to her, but definitely seemed in a rush.