CHAPTER #30

After watching the Volvo Ocean racing teams leave the port to continue the race, they cleaned up the yacht and Nate returned the keys to the harbour master at the marina. Chuck had a cab take them to an awaiting helicopter, that would fly them to the Eiffel Tower.

At the tower Chuck reminisced, "Blair loves Paris. The tower, she said is the symbol of romance."

Jenny looked down at the city, from where she stood on the Eiffel Tower. "Well the view is very nice, but it's too windy and even though the architecture is definitely unique, the tower itself is ugly."

Nate and Chuck looked at each other and started laughing.  Big belly laughs, that had them bent over and gasping for air. Jenny frowned at them and just as their laughter started to die down, asked, "what?"

That made Chuck and Nate laugh all over again, tears in their eyes. Nate gasped for breath and got himself in control, as long as he didn't look at Chuck. "Jenny you have a very refreshing outlook on life.  And actually," he said, looking around the tower, "you're right, it is ugly."

Chuck finally choked out, "it looks better at night with all the lights on it."

Jenny looked down, "I think the gardens and fountains are beautiful and much more romantic. Anyway, the brochure I picked up about Italy, says it is the country of romance and love."

Chuck smiled, "I have a good friend we can visit in Italy, if you don't mind staying on a vineyard."

Nate looked at him, "do we get to taste the wine?" Chuck confirmed that they would.

They went back to the helicopter and he advised the pilot they would be travelling to Italy. The scenery was amazing as they flew from France to Italy. The helicopter was a totally different flight experience than a plane, but it definitely allowed you to see much more of the country side. Initially Jenny was a bit scared, being able to see just exactly how high she was up in the air. But she adapted and really appreciated what she saw. She did clutch both Chuck and Nate's hands in her own and wouldn't let go for the entire ride. It was evening when they landed on a heli-pad on a huge vineyard. People rushed out to greet them, as the helicopter left.

"Benvenuto, mi sia consentito prendere i vostri bagagli."

Chuck replied fluently in Italian and handed over his bags. Jenny followed his example. Nate gave over his bag and said, "la ringrazio, come stai?" To Jenny he explained, "I asked how he was."

Nate and Jenny followed Chuck, who was speaking very rapidly in Italian. He clasped the older man's hand and lead them into a beautiful chalet. They were given a choice of a glass of red or white wine and then shown to their individual rooms. Once they were settled, Chuck rounded up his friends and took them to a balcony that over looked the fields of grapes. There were tables and lounging chairs. Row after row of grapes could be seen as far as the eyes could comprehend. Chuck stood when a man his age strode forward and hugged him warmly. Again they spoke quickly in Italian and then the man introduced himself in English.

"I'm Mario Gregorio, welcome to my vineyard. Mi casa es su casa; my house is your house." He shook Nate's hand and then took Jenny's and kissed it gallantly. "Lei e molto bello il mio caro."

Chuck translated easily, "Mario said; you are very beautiful my dear."

Mario had them sit around a fire and had food brought to them. Someone was always around to refill their wine glasses. Jenny had a very warm glow heating her skin and knew she had to leave her wine glass to drink some water, or she'd be very drunk. But, under the table cloth she slid her hand up Nate's thigh. He almost spilt his wine. The look he gave her, told her that he wanted to warm her blood too.

Mario's laugh broke the sexual under currant. "My friend, just because I talk with an accent, doesn't always mean I think with one."

Chuck said, "Italian men are such flirts. Your accent is what sways many a woman's heart."

Mario glanced at Jenny, "not every woman."

A little bit of jealousy entered into Nate.  He took his hand from Jenny's leg and put it on the back of her chair.  Jenny was feeling muddled by the wine and didn't notice the subtle power play. Chuck noticed, but didn't let on that he saw anything.

"Pardon me gentleman, but I think I need to retire to my room. The wine here is very potent," Jenny said politely.

Mario stood before anyone else could. He came to her side and took Jenny's elbow to steady her, "no apology necessary bella."

GOSSIP GIRL NARRATOR: is this Nate's walk in the clouds or is it going to rain meatballs?

Chuck exchanged a look with Nate, who had Jenny's other elbow. "Thank you for the excellent food Mario." Nate said as he expertly maneuvered Jenny away from Mario.

"Buona notte. See you in the morning, breakfast is served here at 10 am."

"Ouch," Chuck groaned, "no breakfast in bed served by a young Italian lady?"

Mario's laughter followed Nate and Jenny down the hall. They heard an exchange of loud, joyous Italian. Once they were alone in Jenny's room, Nate helped her undress. Jenny was all over him and he was willing to oblige. Red wine made Jenny relaxed as much as it set Nate's blood on fire.

** ~ ~ ~ ~ ~**~ ~ ~ ~ ~ **

In the morning after breakfast, Mario gave them a tour of the house, pool area, winery and stables. He suggested they go horseback riding and tour the vineyard, but to do that before they did the wine tasting. Then Mario took Chuck aside and the two of them disappeared to talk business. Jenny and Nate went with a stable hand to choose their horses. Jenny rode a light chestnut haflinger horse and Nate rode a big black friesian.

"This is a beautiful horse, its mane is so blond," then she mumbled, "better blond than even Serena."

Nate pretended to scold her, "Jenny!"

Jenny grinned and nudged her horse into a canter, "haha, I wont apologize."

Nate was impressed with how well Jenny sat her horse. She was a natural, well balanced. A wide lane way gave them ample room to race each other. He was use to English style riding, but enjoyed the relaxed position of western. They slowed down their horses to a trot and then a walk.

"This is like a post card. Time feels like it doesn't exist here," Jenny gushed.

"I know. Do you want to stop by that well or fountain over there?" Nate pointed.

"Sure." Jenny replied, reining her horse to the right. Nate dismounted his horse first and then helped Jenny down. She giggled when she tried to walk, "oh my, they've turned my body into a bowlegged cowboy."

He nuzzled her neck and kissed her, "mmm, you're the sexiest cowboy ever." They kissed, as the horses drank from the fountain. Then the two of them continued on their way. They returned to the stable later on and found Chuck tasting wine by the pool. Jenny asked, "so how do you know Mario, Chuck?"

"It's a long story," he drawled, "but the short version is that his vineyard is where I have my hotel's best wine from."

Nate smiled, "I thought the merlot tasted familiar."

Mario arrived, said hello and focused his attention on Jenny. "Bella, do you enjoy pop music? Blake Mc Grath is in Venice on Saturday."

Jenny got excited, "really? I love Blake, he's an awesome dancer, I'd go to one of his concerts!"

Chuck said, "then Mario, Nate, you and I will go. I will make some phone calls."

Nate wanted to decline the invite, but he had no intention of leaving Jenny alone all night with Mario. He got a strange vibe from the guy and not one he liked. Jealousy it could be, but he didn't think so. He texted Chuck and asked what Mario's deal was. Chuck replied between phone calls that Mario was a womanizer, that was particularly fond of young girls.