Chapter 5

"Get in." He commanded.

I obeyed him and slid into the back seat quietly. I stared down at my feet and fiddled with my sleeve ends. I sat errect, stiff and awkward.

"Something wrong?"

Ut oh.

"No. I'm fine, thanks."

That stung a little much at the end.

"Okay... If you're sure..."

We made our way to his dwelling. I looked it over and mustered up a few deductions from it.

I know he's probably the parental figure. I know he has a little brother. And I know his job, if he has one, is low pay. I know how that is all too well.

He told me not to mind how bad the place looked. I didn't mind at all. It quite reminded me of home.

He brought me to a room and said he does his homework in there. Then he offered me food and drink. I declined, although I had not eaten today. My lunch was thrown to the ground.

He brought me food anyway.

I was handed cold pizza leftovers and a bottle.

... I was growing skeptical.

"Well? Go ahead." he encouraged as he took a swig from his.

"We can... work on... 'Applications of the Derivative'..." I was distracted by his mouth around the dark rim as he sipped.

...

"Do you know derivatives?

"No."

"... well..."

"What Math are you in anyways?"

"...Analytic Geometry... and-... AP Calc..."

I rummaged through my backpack and pulled out my book. I thumbed through the pages and put my papers and folder to hold in my mouth.

And I dropped my book. On my foot.

Thus, I opened my mouth and paper flew everywhere.

Although, he did help me pick them up. And I got out my sratch paper and wrote a few things down.

"... woah. Uh..." I could tell I made him feel stupid. And... I didn't want to do that.

"Well... how do you learn best? Reading the material? Notes? Or experience?"

He smirked. That was... unexpected.

"I'd say I learn best through experience, yeah."

He said that smugly.

"Okay then." I crumbled up my scratch paper and took index cards out in turn and started to write on them.

I held the first up.

"Do you know how to solve this?"

He finished his drink and leaned forward to squint at the card.

"Mm. Nope."

Great. (Sarcasm.)

"This one?"

"Nada."

Of course not.