Chapter 19

I jolted, my excitement quickly rushing back. I picked up and brought it to my ear.

"Hello?" My voice was sing-songy and definitely meant for Dean.

Which was counteracted by the frantic voice of Sam.

"CAS!!" He shouted. He was panting.

My heart sank. This couldn't be good. I was worried enough, already.

"Sam?" I tried to sound calm on the phone for his sake... or maybe it was for my own, but I could never really tell.

"Cas! Yeah! It's me, Sam!"

"What's... going on?" My lip was quivering.

"It's Dean." My heart shattered. Something had happened to him. And it had to be serious, or else Sam wouldn't be that way.

"What?" my voice cracked, holding back my emotions.

"It's... it's..." He trailed off. There were more voices. Sam must be talking to some kind of authority.

"Sam... please... Tell me what happened." I remained calm sounding, but I was stern.

"Dean... he-he was beaten... they found him a block from the w-worksite on the side of the road. He isn't w-waking up, Cas." Sammy was whiney. He was either crying or on the verge of so.

I dropped the phone on the floor with a 'clank'. I slid down the wall I was leaning against and I wept. My face was wet and blotchy. I was huddled up on the tile, pulling at my tie, crying. I was devestated. My best friend. My lover. And he could be gone for all I know. Thoughts and memories of him were raging through my mind. All those times. Everything.

I must have cried myself to sleep.

Sam woke me up. It was dark. He was still frantic and scared. I was dazed and pathetic.

He hurried me outside to the car with his big, strong body. He towered over me, though I stood a good (almost) six feet, myself. I was shoved shotgun and he raced us to the hospital.