Chapter 16

He drove us to an outlook as the sun was sinking down. Various birds fled and fluttered their wings from the tops of the trees that Dean was throwing small rocks at.

God, he was funny. Constantly cracking jokes the entire time. He was sweet, too. He said all these adorable things and would smother me in compliments and end them with a kiss on the forehead or on the cheek. Sometimes on the nose or lips. He'd laugh right after. And his laugh was so warm and inviting. He was perfect.

We watched the sun as it slunk behind the mountains far off.

"I know there's a display tonight. I wanted to show you." he muttered in the crook of my neck.

A display? Of... what, exactly?

As confused as I was, I nodded and disregarded it. I'm sure it would be fun, whatever it was. He's a great event planner. He knows what's up and he sure knows how to woo a companion.

The area in the valley below us had cheered again and fell quiet as the lights dimmed.

"Here we go." he sat erect, grinning forward.

I looked over at him, studying his face. It then glowed a florescent green. I turned my head and fixed my eyes to the sky, adjusting my glasses.

The sky ignited. The smokey clouds faded to a golden, sparkly peach raining down. They were so close and so mesmerizing. More went off. They played to music and danced across the blotchy sky which smelled of cumin. I was smiling.

"I... I haven't seen fireworks since I was a kid.." I said with my mouth toothy and agape.

"So I guess now's a perfect time, huh?" he replied.

"I guess so." I played with his word choice.

We didn't say much more. We just... stayed there. I don't really think words were particularly necessary at that point, really.

We watched the rest of the show and I was nuzzled under his wing and drifted off to sleep.

He had carried me to the back of his car and drove me home. When we arrived, he shook me lightly to wake me and walked me up to my porch. I asked if he'd like to stay, but he modestly declined. He kissed my forehead goodnight and ruffled my hair. Anna's window was open and light was on, but I didn't think much of it and I trudged back inside and went to my room, quickly falling back asleep.