Chapter 18

Three and a half years had gone by.

We lived contentedly in that little-place-we-called-home for the remainder of that time.

Dean was working as a Contractor and I stayed home most of the time. I had a part-time job at the library down the street and spent some of my time as a tutor for the younger kids at the same school Sam went to. Most of them liked me, which was a good feeling. I put the extra money in our travel fund jar.

I loved it there. Home. With Sam and Dean. And they liked my being there.

One Friday, in early April, Dean called at around noon on his lunch break.

"Hey-a, Cas." he cooed into the phone. He sounded happier than normal, which was nice to hear and it made me smile. "I have reservations for dinner tonight for just us two, okay? Wear something nice. I'm getting off work early for you, I'll be home in an hour or so. I've gotta surprise for you. I'll see you soo-oon."

"Alright." I grinned. "I'll be waiting for you."

I was excited now. Was he going to... ask? I could hardly contain my happiness.

"See you then." He stated ever-so-lovingly.

The telephone clicked on the other line and our call disconnected.

I jumped up and head to my room, throwing some nice clothes on and cleaning myself up nicely. I fixed my hair and slid into the formal, dress clothes. I hopped along while tying the laces to my shoes as I was getting to the side of the room withe the mirror. I check over to see if I looked decent. And I did. I straightened my tie and sat at the table and waited.

The clock said fourty-five minutes had gone by. The grin on my face still stretched.

Which started to fade after it had been an hour and a half.

Which slid into two hours.

And fifteen more minutes.

I didn't get it. Dean was ALWAYS so punctual. Especially when it came to me.

Three hours drifted by.

I picked up a ball and rest my chin on the fist that was propped up by an elbow on the table.

Three and a half.

The phone finally rang.