Chapter 9

At school the next day I went to my first two classes. I wasn't paying much attention. It was a video, nonetheless. I was more scribbling on the desk with a pencil and replaying yesterday in my mind. Until the bell caught me off guard and I scrambled out for lunch hour.

I sat down under the pine tree in the grass. I sat here every day. I ate my sandwhich alone. Everyday.

So I whipped out my book thinking I could distract myself.

I read and read. Only breaking to take a bite of my half-heartedly thrown together peanut butter sandwhich. I noticed my light was gone by a looming shadow cast over me. I looked behind me only to find Dean Winchester.

"Hey." He said. As if everything was normal.

Far from it.

"Hel-... Hey." I reciprocated his causal speak.

"Mind if I sit with you?" He said it as more of a statement than a question as he sat down anyway.

"No," I said stiff and awkwardly. "But don't you sit with your friends? Over there...?" I referred back to the area where he normally sat at lunch.

His shoulders dropped.

"So you're not my friend, then?"

... rats. I screwed that up.

"No- no! We are." Friends... "Most definitely." By now, I had slammed my book shut and he was almost laughing at my awkwardness.

"But usually, yeah. I do. But I wouldn't say they are my friends," he sighed "I would rather stay home with my brother and work on my car. I never really liked those guys. They are all just so big and stupid. Not doing anyone much good. I'm really only aquainted with them 'cos my dad made me try out for the team. And apparently I was good, so..."

"Is that why you act so... unintelligent? I mean... you knew all of that. And halfway through it wasn't even trigonometry. I started putting calculus and statis-"

"Stats are easy." he huffed. "I learned from baseball."

I was about to say...

"Plus, I've always had a knack for the player stats so I guess that came naturally."

"About yesterday,"

He put his hand up to stop me and I noticed his posse staring. I twiddled my feet nervously and looked away sheepishly.

"Just hear me out, please, Cas."