Chapter 17: Forgiveness

The memory that tried to surface while Mella was sick started soon after she fell asleep.

It started just like the memory she had before talking with the spirits, so Mella tuned out until her hand was held out over the water…

An orb shot out of the water in front of her. The other kids fell silent instantly. Serves them right for whispering about me, she thought. She tweaked the magic. The orb fell back into the water, and a wave rose up and crashed over the gossiping children.

They shrieked and spluttered, while she grinned openly.

"It's rude to talk about someone when they can hear you. Didn't anyone tell you that?"

"~~Mella!" the water master yelled. She didn't hear the first part of what he said over the noise of the other kids.

The scene dissolved into darkness, but Mella heard more in her head…

She didn't go to beginner classes with the other elementals after the water incident. Bri paid more attention to her than before, but she had no clue why…

Why was she so special?

RAP! RAP! RAP!

Someone was knocking at the door. Mella opened her eyes blearily. The sun was hidden by grey clouds. It looks like it's going to rain…

The rapping continued. With a yawn, Mella got up and went to the door. She opened it.

"What? Oh, hi Gwen." Mella said, seeing who it was.

"Morning, Mella. May I come in? I have breakfast." Gwen held up a bag in one hand and a bundle of something in the other.

"Uh, yeah. Sure." Mella stood aside. She didn't trust Gwen, not after her antics the first morning. But after seeing Myra's note, she was willing to give Gwen a second chance. The spirits know I've had plenty of them.

Gen walked inside and set down what she was carrying on the table.

"How are you feeling, Mella? Is the magic poisoning out of your system?" Gwen asked kindly, sitting down.

Mella shut the door and went to sit at the table across from Gwen.

"I'm fine. I think I've figured out how to stop the magic poisoning."

"Really? How?"

"Nadai talked to me and changed the necklace. Um, what are you doing here?" Mella asked bluntly, reaching for the bag of food and pulling out a muffin.

"I wanted to apologize for acting so weird the first day. I've never been blocked out by someone. I was frustrated, and I took it out on you. I'm sorry."

"It's alright, Gwen. I understand."

"There's a downside to this thought thing…I can't block out Alex. So I heard your story through him last night. I'm really sorry for you. If you want to talk to someone besides the guys, you can always talk to me."

"That's greatly appreciated, seeing as your brother and I aren't exactly on speaking terms right now. Do you know how frustrating Alex is? He accused me of lying when I told him my story!" Mella said angrily.

"I know. Besides the fact I'm related to him, that landing is outside my rooms. He's not going to do it again. You'll know why when you see him." Oh…

Gwen stood up. "I have to get going. I'm trying to make plans for the festival. It's still over four months away, but I'll still be working to the last second. Hey, you got it open!" Gwen had seen the box.