Chapter 35: Snowy Stories

"Hey, Wesley?"

"Yeah?"

"Are we lost?

Wesley scoffed. "Of course not. I have a keen sense of direction."

Mella raised an eyebrow, although Wesley couldn't see it. They were both riding Dawn through a plain of snow, and there was nothing for miles but a smudge on the horizon. It was slow going, with the grey mare having to break through a foot of snow with every step.

"Sure, because you know exactly where you were going when we fled to Berna."

"I didn't think you would remember that."

"I was sick, not an amnesiac. Seriously, you and the spirits need to figure that out."

Mella silently asked the spirits to watch over Berna for what felt like the hundredth time since they had left the village. Rei had woken them both early the day before, before any other people were awake. It had been close to dawn, but the clouds heavy with snow obscured the rising sun, putting everything in a strange grey light.

“You should have everything you need, but you’ll have to stop somewhere towards the middle of your trip for more food.”

“We’ll be all right, Rei. Thank you… for everything.” Wesley bowed to Rei before mounting Dawn. It seemed so strange to Mella, to see the prince bowing to her mentor.

Rei turned to Mella. “Are you sure youwill be all right?”

“Yeah, I will. I can take care of myself. Plus, I have Wesley.”

“You really trust him?”

“Of course I do. He hasn’t given me a reason not to.”

“Really? No reason at all?” Rei sounded skeptical.

“No. I know why he did what he did. I trust him. Rei, don’t worry about us. We’ll be fine. Besides, you have a village to run.” Days after Myra’s funeral, the other people in the village unanimously decided that Rei was the best fit to lead them.

Rei nodded, tears brimming in her gold eyes. “The spirits guide you child.”

Mella hugged her. “And you as well. I’ll be back someday, along with the children that were taken.”

Mella let go, and held out her hands. A spark blossomed in one palm, and an ice crystal grew and fractured in the other. Soon, two flowers sat in her hands: a smoldering fire lily and a glowing, glittering ice rose. Mella gently handed them to Rei.

“Mella, we have to go.” Wesley said softly. Mella nodded, and turned to mount the horse behind him.

“Goodbye, Mella.” Rei called as Wesley had Dawn carry them away.

Mella couldn’t bring herself to say anything, but only repeated in her head what Myra had told her.

There is never goodbye.

“Mella? Earth to Mella? You zoned out on me again.”

Wesley’s voice pulled her back to the present. The snow was starting to fall again, obscuring the smudge that had been growing steadily closer all day.

“What?” Mella asked tiredly. Nightmares had plagued her the night before. Added to the early mornings, she was wiped.

“We’re probably going to be stopping soon. We can’t afford to get lost in a snowstorm.” Wesley twisted around to see her. “You okay?” His sapphire eyes reflected his concern.

“Just tired. Your song must have worn off, because the nightmares came back.”

Wesley was shaking, and it took Mella a minute to realize he was laughing. “What’s so funny, Highness?”